Inserter confused in multi item furnacearray

Bugs that are actually features.
Senil
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Inserter confused in multi item furnacearray

Post by Senil »

I know that this isn't the most usual way to smelt your stuff (copper ore, iron ore, iron plate).
But a friend and I tried to make a huge furnacearray that you could put all things that should be smelted on one inputline and then sort it out in a sorterstation on the other side.
It works fine as long as it's just copper-/ironore, but then you add iron plates to the mix, the inserters gets confused.

Like in the picture below, one inserter grabs a piece of copper ore and try to inert it into the furnace that already holds iron plates.

If you remove the ironplate(s) in the furnace it works for a while, but eventually the same occur again.

We have tested on both singel-/multiplayer in 0.12.4 and 0.12.5. Both of us have mac, so not tested if it's the same in windows.
Here is a link to the savegame and log. Link

Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Inserter confused in multi item furnacearray

Post by Yttrium »

My guess is that this is intended behaviour, you will have to find your way around this and make sure Iron plates will always arrive in arrays of 5.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Inserter confused in multi item furnacearray

Post by kovarex »

Well, it isn't really a bug, as the inserter would have to know what other inserters have already something in their hand.

We decided to consider these problems to be part of the gameplay challenge.

Return to “Not a bug”