[0.12.8] Crash when loading invalid mods in linux

Bugs that are actually features.
Kevin94
Inserter
Inserter

[0.12.8] Crash when loading invalid mods in linux

Post by Kevin94 »

When ever I am trying to start the linux (64bit, if it matters) version of factorio, with a faulty mod active, the program crashes without any message. I remember the Windows version showing a nice message, telling me which problem occurred and which mod/file caused it. Some of the causes for the crash are: Invalid mod folder name, syntax errors in the lua files, missing or no longer existing properties of prototypes, or invalid values given for a property, such as required_energy = 0.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.8] Crash when loading invalid mods in linux

Post by prg »

Factorio does not crash in these cases but prints a message explaining the problem to stdout and the log file.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

I've tried introducing syntax errors into mods, but couldn't get it to crash.

How do I reproduce this?

Kevin94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kevin94 »

Yes, it writes a message in the log file. If you do not call this a crash, when the program exits without telling the user beforehand why it exits, I don't know what you would call a crash.
What annoys me is, that factorio quits without opening some Message Box saying what the problem is. And as far as I remember, the windows version/ an earlier version has done this. I don't care if it crashes during playing, but in this early phase I often do not notice that the programm has started at all, and start it a couple of times before I realise that it could be a good idea to have a look at the logfile.

Edit: As said in the initial post, it happens to me with any error, no matter if syntax error, wrong named mod folder or invalid/missing prototype elements. But I think it is an linux only problem, but not tested yet, I haven't played factorio on windows for a while (some early 0.11 version).

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Kevin94 wrote:Yes, it writes a message in the log file. If you do not call this a crash, when the program exits without telling the user beforehand why it exits, I don't know what you would call a crash.
If the game died with a segfault or unhandled exception, that would be a crash. In this case, a mod is doing something wrong which is detected and reported properly, just not in a way you'd expect. It is still working as intended. The game decides to exit on its own, which is not a crash.
Kevin94 wrote:What annoys me is, that factorio quits without opening some Message Box saying what the problem is. And as far as I remember, the windows version/ an earlier version has done this. I don't care if it crashes during playing, but in this early phase I often do not notice that the programm has started at all, and start it a couple of times before I realise that it could be a good idea to have a look at the logfile.

Edit: As said in the initial post, it happens to me with any error, no matter if syntax error, wrong named mod folder or invalid/missing prototype elements. But I think it is an linux only problem, but not tested yet, I haven't played factorio on windows for a while (some early 0.11 version).
If the game used to display a message box and this is something that broke recently, that is worth a bug report. If no such box was ever displayed, it's a feature request.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Kevin94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kevin94 »

Tested it on windows, with the latest version (0.11.19) I played there before migrating to linux. So im stil unsure if it was genrally removed or it's just an linux thing. But it was implemented at some time, so this definitly not a feature request.
In opposition to my memories that it opens the same kind of dialog as a runtime error in the game, it opens a native Windows Message Box. My gues is, this function is not working on linux and fails silently.
wrongFilename.PNG
wrongFilename.PNG (296.23 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
syntaxError.PNG
syntaxError.PNG (319.66 KiB) Viewed 7421 times

Return to “Not a bug”