[0.13.5] Name changing

Bugs that are actually features.
LuziferSenpai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.13.5] Name changing

Post by LuziferSenpai »

Hey,

When you change your Name in Factorio and reload Factorio, the Log-In will be used instead of the Name that you have written in Settings -> Others.

Is that a Bug or a Feature? ^^

Greetz,

Luzifer
Coding is awesome!
Animes are love!
Factorio is life!

My MODs:
Click

Greetz,

Senpai

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13.5] Name changing

Post by Loewchen »

LuziferSenpai wrote:[...]the Log-In will be used [...]
Used for what? In what context?

I assume it is not 13.5, what version is it :P

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

At least we know a bug in an upcoming patch before it released :lol: .

When you change your username from ( options -> others -> factorio username ). The change will only be applied for new game. When you load a game it'll allways show your previous name visible on the map.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

vtx wrote:At least we know a bug in an upcoming patch before it released :lol: .

When you change your username from ( options -> others -> factorio username ). The change will only be applied for new game. When you load a game it'll allways show your previous name visible on the map.
more than that, if you load a solo map created by someone else, you get the name of the creator of the map.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

log-in name and ingame name were merged, so not a bug.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

I don't want my online forum username to be the same as my character name when I play games or vice versa. I play a lot of LAN games and I want to be able to set my user name (can do currently in options and in prior versions), but as soon as I log into the mod portal, it replaces my character name with my login username.

I don't see the reason why this has to be forced on single player games, and LAN games, and I also don't see why this has to be forced even on online games. Let the user show whatever name they want in game. Let me pick the name I want.

You also have an option for verifying players via their accounts which can be disabled (I always have this disabled). So why force the online user name when we don't want online verification. By this I don't mean that online verification is useless, it can be useful under some situations, but if I don't want to verify users online, then let let each player pick their own character names when joining.

Please allow for setting a local character name that is not bound to the login username or account in any way.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Can you please re-visit this issue and allow us to set our own user names. This is also an issue with long user names covering up the map. In single player, I don't need to see my user name and a long one just clutters the map. In multiplayer I still want to see other player's names but when playing with friends(which is how I always play) we can pick short names. This is exacerbated even more with more players. For example, when people were doing the massively multiplayer tests, the entire mini-map was covered by names of people and was completely useless.

Kovarax, I know you have a vision for this game, but please listen to your users that have bought the game. You already had this feature before, so just let us set our own user names. You could do something as simple as keeping the user name that the player entered into the config screen in all situations, except when it is blank. When it's blank, the next time you log in to the factorio server, the user name can default to your online account name. This field will only be blank in two situations, a fresh install of the game, or if the user erases the field manually.

Thanks

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Please allow changing player name

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

factoriouzr wrote:Please allow changing player name
It is allowed:

https://www.factorio.com/settings

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Klonan wrote:
It is allowed:

Without overwriting it every time I go online to check for mods.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

factoriouzr wrote:
Klonan wrote:
It is allowed:

Yes here: https://www.factorio.com/settings

dgw
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dgw »

Klonan wrote:
factoriouzr wrote:
Klonan wrote:
It is allowed:

"You will be able to change your username only once."

Not a very good workaround, then.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

dgw wrote:
Klonan wrote:
factoriouzr wrote:
Klonan wrote:
It is allowed:

"You will be able to change your username only once."

Not a very good workaround, then.
If you have a good reason to change your username, PM or email me and i can give you another username change

dgw
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dgw »

(Breaking the quote chain, because it's now absurdly long.)

I have the name I wanted, and haven't used any name changes at all yet, but appreciate the offer.

As far as the thread goes, I agree with the desire (assuming I'm interpreting it correctly) to have a display name that is separate from the login name, and changeable at will. The biggest example relevant to Factorio is likely Steam, where the username used to log in, the username displayed in games, and the user name displayed in profile page URLs are all separate values. The login username cannot be changed, even by staff, but the display name and profile name can be changed at will, without affecting how one logs in.

Even if the editable display name is only visible in-game, that's fine. If the Factorio site, mod portal, etc. will always display the account name, I see no issue with that. I think this post said it best:
factoriouzr wrote:I don't want my online forum username to be the same as my character name when I play games or vice versa. I play a lot of LAN games and I want to be able to set my user name (can do currently in options and in prior versions), but as soon as I log into the mod portal, it replaces my character name with my login username.

I don't see the reason why this has to be forced on single player games, and LAN games, and I also don't see why this has to be forced even on online games. Let the user show whatever name they want in game. Let me pick the name I want.

You also have an option for verifying players via their accounts which can be disabled (I always have this disabled). So why force the online user name when we don't want online verification. By this I don't mean that online verification is useless, it can be useful under some situations, but if I don't want to verify users online, then let let each player pick their own character names when joining.

Please allow for setting a local character name that is not bound to the login username or account in any way.
If I want to play, say, on a private server with IRL friends and use my real (first) name on that map for clarity, I can't. It becomes impossible to play with separate friend groups that might know me by different names without confusing people at first (at best) or even linking together multiple pseudonymous identities that I want to keep separate.

For the moment, these are hypotheticals, as I have a small group of friends with whom to play the game, but I'm looking to the future and also trying to advocate for other users who may already have similar issues.

Return to “Not a bug”