[Not a bug] Steel researched but can't make

Bugs that are actually features.
dascandy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Not a bug] Steel researched but can't make

Post by dascandy »

Hi,

In my game I managed to research something that required steel before I researched steel itself. After researching steel itself though it did not become available and I still can't build any of the steel-requiring things. This is on the 0.2.9 alpha, Windows 64-bit exe build.

Can't attach the savegame as your savegames (zipped!) are larger than your forum allows.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Steel researched but can't make

Post by MF- »

Get 2.10, then. :)

dascandy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Steel researched but can't make

Post by dascandy »

Sorry bout that, didn't notice the overnight update.

Also, from someone's letsplay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6APWEVR ... d3XdLN0q6h) I notice that I'm trying to do it wrong - it's in a smelter, not a manufacturing unit. Stupid me... Think this bug can be closed as not-a-bug, although it may be nice to somehow know in the manufacturing menu that this is a smelting thing...

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Not a bug] Steel researched but can't make

Post by MF- »

PS: You can also research filter and smart inserters before researching fast insterters. Same situation.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

MF- wrote:PS: You can also research filter and smart inserters before researching fast insterters. Same situation.
What do you mean by this?

I belive, that if you research smart inserters without having fast inserters researched, the only way to craft smart inserter is to obtain the fast one other way (usually not possible, but in some special scenario/multiplayer etc it could be possible).

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

kovarex wrote: I belive, that if you research smart inserters without having fast inserters researched, the only way to craft smart inserter is to obtain the fast one other way (usually not possible, but in some special scenario/multiplayer etc it could be possible).
That is true.
In the first message of the thread he writes that it is possible to research steel-requiring buildings before steel production.

The somewhat-point is probably this: How do you invent something that uses and resource unknown to you and be sure that it would work?

Return to “Not a bug”