Modded blueprints gets destroyed by non-modded games

Bugs that are actually features.
Nilaus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Modded blueprints gets destroyed by non-modded games

Post by Nilaus »

I realise that this may not be a "bug", but rather an unfortunate consequence of the current functionality, but from a user perspective it is a defect so I raise it here.

I have a blueprint book full of nice advanced Bob/Angels/AAI blueprints that I use in my regular games. Sometimes however, I join a non-modded game.
When that happens the blueprints gets all their modded entities removed thereby completely destroying my Blueprint book.

I realise that they cannot be displayed, but then don't show them instead of going into the blueprint and saying "hmm, this entity is not known to me, let me remove it from the blueprint and save the rest in its place".
Can you please make it so it ignores, but does not delete the blueprints?

The cleanest solution would be a big fat red X across any blueprints containing objects that cannot be referenced due to mods.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Modded blueprints gets destroyed by non-modded games

Post by Rseding91 »

This was discussed during the blueprint library development and the current implementation was decided on.

That means if you load a game anything in the blueprint storage that doesn't exist in the game is removed.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SilverB1rd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SilverB1rd »

Rseding91 wrote:This was discussed during the blueprint library development and the current implementation was decided on.

That means if you load a game anything in the blueprint storage that doesn't exist in the game is removed.
oh wow, that is a big ouch when you can lose hours, days, or weeks of work because you clicked to a join a modded/non-modded game.

Would a warning and a way to cancel the operation before it justs wipes out modded blueprints take too much work?

Nilaus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nilaus »

Rseding91 wrote:This was discussed during the blueprint library development and the current implementation was decided on.

Thanks for the fast response.
I can't really see how that is a good solution under any circumstances. Why would anyone want their Blueprints edited against their will and with no warning?

Wouldn't it just be a lot cleaner to ignore any unknown entities in a game without updating the blueprints?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I am all for blueprints in the blueprint manager not being selectable if they have invalid entities but it shouldn't overwrite them. save that for blueprints in the inventory!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Hmm good to know.
And quite strange tbh - this basically means that you need to have one mod set and play with it if you want to use blueprints.
Or make sure that your stored blueprints contain only vanilla elements.

Return to “Not a bug”