0.16.51 Train Stacker Problem - Quirky Stacking

Bugs that are actually features.
Hyenna
Inserter
Inserter

0.16.51 Train Stacker Problem - Quirky Stacking

Post by Hyenna »

The train tries to pass a locked by network path instead of parking behind another train to get closer to its destination.

What the quirky stacking does here is to detect the length of a train and if it fit behind another will keep the clear lanes locked. When a train fits behind another in a lane the signal will stay green. Clear lanes will only be unlocked/turned green when a train doesnt fit behind another (all stacker lanes are red signaled - turns the chain signal in front of the train at length detection red which unlocks the clear path at stacker).

Attachment:
Screenshot : Stacker Problem.jpg
Savegame : Stacker Problem.zip
Attachments
Stacker Problem.zip
Savegame about current situation.
(46.14 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
Screenshot of the current situation and info about what the circuit does here.
Screenshot of the current situation and info about what the circuit does here.
Stacker Problem.jpg (682.25 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: 0.16.51 Train Stacker Problem - Quirky Stacking

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however this is working as intended.

A signal locked by the circuit network has a penalty of 1000. A stopped train has a penalty of 2000 so the train will always prefer to avoid the stopped train.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Hyenna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hyenna »

Even if i lock the whole line red and put some extra chain signal in front it still tries to go there.
So how many red lights do i need to force it to go to the green path?
What is the penalty of a red signal blocked by a train? Then i may count them and see what i made wrong there.
Attachments
Stacking problem even with red signals.
Stacking problem even with red signals.
Stacker Problem 2.jpg (623.1 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report however this is working as intended.

A signal locked by the circuit network has a penalty of 1000. A stopped train has a penalty of 2000 so the train will always prefer to avoid the stopped train.
Unless I'm misinterpreting my tests, neither of those is always true. See the attached save, built just now while trying to help with https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... need_help/

All three paths to the top station have a single wired-closed signal and two of them have a stopped train on them. If what you're saying here were true, incoming trains would choose the empty track, no?
Attachments
wired-closed-penalty-not-applied.zip
(3.68 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

Hyenna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hyenna »

Thanks i found a way to prevent trains from blocking the length check with a bit more complicated way of signaling and a time relais after 5 second wait there will unlock the clear rails for a train that refuse to stack behind another. It seems to work correctly now in my test track. In the second screenshot i simply forgot to reset the train automation (sorry).

Blueprint book can be found in the rail setup thread named: Quirky Stacker - Extendable/Modular

Hyenna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hyenna »

Unless I'm misinterpreting my tests, neither of those is always true. See the attached save, built just now while trying to help with https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... need_help/

All three paths to the top station have a single wired-closed signal and two of them have a stopped train on them. If what you're saying here were true, incoming trains would choose the empty track, no?
The problem in your save game is something else im trying to make the train go to the path where the network lets the train signal be green so that the train can stack behind instead of going to a clear parralel path so that it will be keept clear for a long train if possible. The train waiting there refuses to stack behind at the path with the green light because the red light by wirenetwork penalty is too weak for it. I think a train shouldnt try to go a path that it closed by network controller because it doesnt know how long it will be closed - it could be permanently if i put a constant combinator for it in that case it would be deadlocked till i decide to switch it off even when there is other ways it could go but doesnt because there may always alot of traffinc it refuses to go behind other trains. I wonder if its possible to give us control about it to be a high or a low penalty strength on the signal being red by wire? The way i made it work now is more a compromise to give it access to a clear path after a duration of time before it blocks all the traffic from behind.
The wire signal from red train signal are only applied when a train is blocking the path behind that way you can read how many track part are blocked by a train which i think can be useful if you know how to use it. If it will be changed may can there be a check be applied to give a network signel when there is a train on track part or not?

Return to “Not a bug”