[0.17.3] Stutter when zooming in "god mode"

Bugs that are actually features.
Aoz
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.3] Stutter when zooming in "god mode"

Post by Aoz »

I started up a scenario (Sandbox) to build an oil blueprint and I noticed that zooming while panning around seems to bug out further zooming. You'll notice a flicker of the entities appearing in one place, then settling to another between my scrollwheel "clicks".

Hardware & Drivers:
Windows 10
NVIDIA GTX 1080
Driver: 398.36
Resolution: 2560x1440
As far as I know I'm using the default renderer (DirectX I guess now)

In-game graphics settings are here:
https://imgur.com/a/e6Aeb3e

Video showing the effect:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17BvPQ ... xRMUr1n_NR

Let me know if anything else would help.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.3] Stutter when zooming in "god mode"

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's working as intended: it's zooming out and moving the screen to keep the position under the cursor the same: "zoom to cursor" is what it's called.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Aoz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aoz »

I understand the concept of zooming towards a cursor and how that internally is going to be made up of an increase in scale and a translation for sure, but I'm still convinced this is a bug.

The reason for that is I'm in game trying it right now and it's the inconsistency that has me so convinced. Placing my cursor in the upper-right and zooming does one of two things:

1. Zooms correctly, smoothly and nicely in one "motion". As I'm used to and as I would expect.
2. Zooms jarringly where you can see the screen end up where its supposed to and then the entities suddenly move to the upper right and then back to where they should have been. That's to say: When I scroll the mouse wheel the zooming correctly happens and then for a very very brief time the entities flash to the upper-right and then go back to the previous position all in one mouse wheel "click".

Perhaps the video didn't show it as well as I would have liked. A section where you can compare the two things appears at the beginning of second 19. Run the video at 0.25x speed to see it well. I'm zooming at a uniform-ish speed with my mouse wheel and not moving my cursor or the arrow keys, but there are definitely two different things happening, if you "count" each 10 mouse wheel clicks you get the following kinds of zooms:

1. Smooth
2. Jarring
3. Jarring
4. Smooth
5. Smooth
6. Smooth
7. Jarring
8. Jarring
9. Jarring
10. Smooth

The smooth zooms are clearly one nice motion. The jarring zooms seem to be made up of multiple motions and look quite bad in compared to the smooth zooms. Again the reason I think this is a bug is because the smooth zooms exist, why doesn't it always look this good when its obviously possible that it can zoom smoothly without jitter/jarring effects? After the auto-save around second 10 in the video it seems to somewhat fix itself temporarily you see it goes back to zooming as I expect, very smoothly in and out, no jittering entities or jarring movements which prompts me to try to reproduce the bug by zooming and panning around before demonstrating the issue again at second 19.

If you read this and watch the video as I've instructed and are still saying that this is not a bug, then that's good enough for me. But I'd request you do take one more look to try to see what I'm pointing out, it really feels quite bad in game while playing.

Aoz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aoz »

For what it's worth I cannot reproduce this in a non god-mode game. I tried using the minimap to be able to zoom towards the upper-right but it seems smooth each time.

Return to “Not a bug”