[0.11.21] Refuelling sadness

Bugs that are actually features.
skintkingle
Inserter
Inserter

[0.11.21] Refuelling sadness

Post by skintkingle »

Now I would call this a bug, because it worked before, and now this has been introduced.

Our map has a garage of sorts, self-contained on the outside of our factory, it has tanks and vehicles in it sitting in garage spots. This was fine before (version between 0.11.17 and 0.11.21). the last version of factorio we played this map on was 0.11.16 so between that and 0.11.21 this bug has been introduced. The inserters are filling up the vehicle containers with stuff that should be going into fuel/ammo spots.

See below:
big image
as pictured here you can see the tanks inventory is filling up with solid fuel. (Not desired and never did this (i'm guessing before the inserter optimisation rewrite))
more big image
This also happens with the reloading station circled a bit lower and to the left on the 2nd screenshot. Although not pictured it exhibits the same situation where once the ammunition slots are fully loaded it will start plowing ammo into the tanks inventory too.

The car has the same issue with fuel overflowing into the cars inventory. If i put the car in the reloading area it fills its inventory with ammo but that is what i'd expect anyway, for cannons at least, because it doesn't have an ammo slot for it.

I sincerely hope you guys agree this is a bug and not the new intended functionality because this made me sad when I saw it.

Apex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.11.21] Refuelling sadness

Post by Apex »

After all that time setting up defenses for that depot... It would be nice to get this working again so we can keep vehicles stocked up that aren't railroaded.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

This was introduced in 0.11.8 (not sure how you didn't notice it before now)

I agree with you, but unfortunately it's not considered a bug, as per kovarex's post.

You can use smart inserters to take out the fuel and ammo at the same time, they won't remove it from the fuel and ammo slots, only the trunk.

skintkingle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skintkingle »

Oh damn... That is.... reallllly annoying.
I have no idea how i've not noticed it since then.. Maybe it was that far back.. maybe I read 0.11.6 and not 0.11.16....

I thought unified behaviour would be if there's a special slot for the resource, dont put into normal storage, otherwise, put into normal storage..
That makes a lot of sense to me and can be applied across the board too....

Well that's just made me sad today. :(

Twisted
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Twisted »

Maybe somebody makes a simple refueling/restocking inserter mod, that could be the easiest solution. You can try to request such a thing.

skintkingle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skintkingle »

I would much rather implore factorio Devs to rethink this kind of functionality. It can be standardised in a much more logical way. Thinking out loud if you have event subscriptions to the object in the cell the inserter is looking at, to monitor when inventories change, you have a subscription to each inventory object individually, or a strapper of the 1 (or more) inventories amalgomated together. If it's the latter solution, the inventory monitoring strapper can report as being full for that item type to be inserted, I would presume that kind of abstraction has been reached in factorio to keep a generic Registering to 1 inventory monitor for an object, instead of having to check and register for each inventory on an object, as some have differing quantities of inventories. If it's the former solution the inserter should keep a tally of what resources preference which inventory and stick to that... I know begging the devs probably wont go anywhere but I just cant perceive how that kind of functionality ended up being a "Unified" solution that has to be coped with.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Either way they aren't releasing bug fixes for 0.11 anymore. They're working fully on 0.12 now which is a couple months away, and has a lot of new features which might fix this problem, or at least make it more manageable.

It sucks but you'll have to deal with "in-the-mean-time" fixes for now. :/ That can be the smart inserters, or mods as suggested above.

skintkingle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skintkingle »

Yeah I know.. I understand that as well. I wasn't posting here expecting a fix or a change now. This is now a reach out to them to re-evaluate their decision earlier... Nothing more.. So thanks for the clarification anyway. But I did already know that. ^_^...

Sorry I didn't mean to come across as attacking you but it seemed like moot information. I just wanted to bring to light an issue. when it/if it gets decided on or implemented is a non-concern for me when testing. especially for something that's more of an unpleasantry as apposed to game breaking.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The answer is simple, if we change this, that there would be another bug report, that the inserters refuse to put things into the trunk.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

My personal opinion is that fuel is the thing you would like to put into the car.
Adding stuff to the trunk in automated way - not sure about usage scenarios there unless you are using car to replace train.

Return to “Not a bug”