[0.11.17] Shadow Angle Inconsistency

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.11.17] Shadow Angle Inconsistency

Post by Zeblote »

This is a minor problem, but after noticing it I absolutely cannot unsee it.

Look at the random buildings (steam engine, pole) and you'll see that the sun comes somewhere from the left.

However, the player shadow is straight down.

Next, let's look at cable shadows:

We view the cable from the side, so we see the hanging curve. However, the sun comes from the left (it shines along the cable) so the curve should not be visible on the ground.

Judging from the pole shadows the sun comes from the left (and very slightly to the bottom as the pole shadow goes up slightly), the red line is how I imagine the cable shadow should actually be.

The same applies for vertical cables. We look along the cable so we cannot see the hanging curve, but the sun shines from the side so it should be visible on the ground:

The cable shadow is also drawn at the wrong position, cables are hanging over the middle pole so the shadow should also be in the middle:

I hope this makes sense, I'm not sure how to explain it otherwise.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.17] Shadow Angle Inconsistency

Post by slpwnd »

Thanks for the report with pictures :D Good points, all of them.

1) The shadows of the machines are "correct". In a sense that is how all the shadows should be in our chosen isometrical view.

2) The shadow for the player, doesn't follow the same pattern basically as an optimisation (this way the sprites take way less space). However we have now a method to render the shadow separately so we will implement this for the player in the future. Having separate shadow for player will still save a lot of space compared to having shadows as part of every sprite. This is because we can have one generic shadow for all the armors and maybe even for movement with gun.

3) Shadows for poles are calculated programatically. The code that draws the shadows is basically the same as the one for the wires. That creates inconsistency in the pictures you have shown (the cables "appear" to be just vertical lines hence the shadows are also drawn as vertical lines).

These are on our list. But somehow in the bottom. Hence putting this to minor issues.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

This is fixed in 2.0

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

8 years and a half :mrgreen:
I don't know if I'm more impressed by the time it took to get fixed, or by the fact that it did get fixed, eventually, after so much time.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

Remember, Wszystko będzie.
I don't care when something gets fixed, as long as it does. Yay, it's fixed :-)
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Return to “Fixed for 2.0”