The grammar for description of selection_box has a little weirdness

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

The grammar for description of selection_box has a little weirdness

Post by Honktown »

https://lua-api.factorio.com/1.1.95/pro ... ection_box

Code: Select all

The selection box is usually a little bit bigger than the collision box, for tileable entities (like buildings) it should match the tile size of the building.
At first, I was confused, reading it as: The selection box is usually a little bit bigger than the collision box, for tileable entities (like buildings) [and then for entities that aren't tiling or buildings...] . Re-reading it, I realized the part after the comma should go with the second part: for tileable entities (like buildings) it should match the tile size of the building.

Breaking the sentence with a period is appropriate and clearer, in my opinion:

The selection box is usually a little bit bigger than the collision box. For tileable entities (like buildings) it should match the tile size of the building.
I don't know if tileable would be better as tileable, or tile-able, but that could be changed at the same time if wanted.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The grammar for description of selection_box has a little weirdness

Post by Pi-C »

Honktown wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:09 am
https://lua-api.factorio.com/1.1.95/pro ... ection_box

The selection box is usually a little bit bigger than the collision box, for tileable entities (like buildings) it should match the tile size of the building.

Breaking the sentence with a period is appropriate and clearer, in my opinion:
Agreed, although in my opinion a semicolon would be sufficient. A semicolon is a stronger separator than a comma, but not quite as strong as a period. Therefore, if there is a semicolon, you know that the first point has been covered completely and the part after the colon is a new aspect -- but that aspect is still logically connected to the first part of the sentence. (Sometimes, "for" may be used instead of "because", and a comma in front of "for" would encourage that reading until one gets to "it should match". With a semicolon, you know that the sentence hasn't been completed yet and that it's still about the size of selection boxes. A period could imply that topics are changed altogether.)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: The grammar for description of selection_box has a little weirdness

Post by Bilka »

That looks like a comma splice. The comma has been replaced with a period for the next version.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Resolved Requests”