Not using base mod

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Not using base mod

Post by matjojo »

A mod I'm working on will use only about three things from the base game (concrete tiles, and some machines), and for all else, be a different thing.

I decided I wanted to disable the base mod, as that comes with a lot of textures, wich I will not need to load when not doing that, and that will improve performance a lot.

When loading the game it gives a couple of warning messages, about the achievements missing, and this one:
Error: Equipment grid prototype required but missing.
Base mod is required to run the game, but it is currently disabled, do you want to enable it?
Now I know that the base mod is not actually needed, as I remember a dev saying (about a year ago, so might not be the case anymore). That if you copy the needed prototypes to your mod, that you can make it work.

now you can click these away, so in these stages of work on my mod I'm not really scared about these, what I do dislike is one which I can not figure out.
After clicking away these warnings, I create a world, and even before generating it says this:
At least one tile type has to be allowed.
I tried copying the tiles folder to my mod, and using that one, but it still says that, even after I realised that I did not import the new files from the data.lua file.

Anyone have an Idea about how I can make this work?

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Not using base mod

Post by Rockstar04 »

If you plan on distributing your mod, from what I understand, you can not include ANYTHING from the base mod. With that out of the way, I also believe that you SHOULD be able to use the game without the base mod, but you will need to pretty much recreate/modify and other third party mods since most reference the base mod.

My understanding was incorrect. Here is a post form a member of the dev team spelling out how base content is licensed: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6202&p=48971#p49122
Last edited by Rockstar04 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Rockstar04 wrote:If you plan on distributing your mod, from what I understand, you can not include ANYTHING from the base mod. With that out of the way, I also believe that you SHOULD be able to use the game without the base mod, but you will need to pretty much recreate/modify and other third party mods since most reference the base mod.

It will be a complete overhaul, other mods will need to follow what I did to work with mine, a big part of the game will be changed.

Also: I think I remember the devs saying that you can use base data/graphics but only in mods, and not when making another program.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, according to the licence, all Factorio assets are allowed to freely be used, edited, and redistributed with mods for factorio, but not for anything external to Factorio.

As for graphic assets, fairly sure a mod can reference files from another mod directly, and it works if said mod is installed, even if it is disabled. So in the case where base mod is still there, but disabled, you should be able to just enter the path for base game graphics, even if it's disabled.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

bobingabout wrote:Yeah, according to the licence, all Factorio assets are allowed to freely be used, edited, and redistributed with mods for factorio, but not for anything external to Factorio.

As for graphic assets, fairly sure a mod can reference files from another mod directly, and it works if said mod is installed, even if it is disabled. So in the case where base mod is still there, but disabled, you should be able to just enter the path for base game graphics, even if it's disabled.

That's good, I actually was a bit scared there. Do you have any idea about the world generation thingy? I might just pre-create a world, and see if that works. I'll report back later

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Quick update, pre-creating a map works, just now fixing other problems that come up, will report back when there is a problem.

Return to “Modding help”