Corrected a Mod, Now Won't Show

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Corrected a Mod, Now Won't Show

Post by Maddhawk »

So I wanted to give the mod "Extra Large Chests" a try and was given an error. A fast look at the mod portal showed that others had the same error occur and someone posted that a "then" was missing on line 3 of a file. I unzipped the mod and made the necessary correction and then rezipped the folder for the mod. Now it no longer shows up in my list of mods in game. How can I get the mod to show up so I can test it out?

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Corrected a Mod, Now Won't Show

Post by Maddhawk »

Let me try this question then since no one has an answer for my first one, how do you manually install a mod?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Did you zipped it or rared it?
It needs to be a zip file and the mod folder needs to be the only first element.

You may upload your file and we can have a quick look at it.

Manual installation can be done by copying the file into the mod folder.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21495 and the wiki link posted there.

Cu, steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

Yes, I did zip it. However, I did so by right clicking the folder and "sending to zipped folder" using the Windows interface. I don't have a separate stand alone zip program. I followed the directions given on the wiki.

I was trying to modify the addon: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/XL_Chests
When you try to load or make a game with it enabled as it comes when downloaded from in game you get the following error: Error while applying migration: Extra Large Chests: XL_Chests_1.0.0.lua
XL_Chests/migrations/XL_Chests_1.0.0.lua:4: 'then' expected near 'force'

There is a discussion thread for it on the mod page with a correction posted by someone else. I extracted the mod and made the correction to the file listed using notepad++ and then rezipped the folder using the method above. However, the mod will no longer appear in game.

I then decided to find an alternative way to increase my storage capacity by trying the merged chests mod and Noxy's Stack Multiplier. They both work, however I want to tweak them. Trying to do so results in the same problems as above. Once tweaked they stop showing up in game under the mods listed as available.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WideChests
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Noxys_StackSizeMultiplier

With the first I want to increase the size of the number of rows or columns a chest can be merged, default is 42 and author states the settings file can be edited to change this. With the second I want to reduce the multiplier from 20 to 5.

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

I managed to get a hold of Noxy/CobaltSky and another modder in Nilhaus' discord and solve my problem. Thanks all who read.

Sir_Jeffrey_Q
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sir_Jeffrey_Q »

So, I know this is a bit of an older thread at this point, but would you mind sharing how you were able to get it to work? This is the exact same issue I have run into lately (editing a mod, then not being able to get the game to recognize it exists), and I haven't been able to find any posts about how to solve this issue, until I completely accidentally ran into this one. Thanks heaps!

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

Does it work when unzipped?

If no, your directory structure or info.json file are somehow wrong. The mod folder has to be named <internal mod name>_<version> and be compatible with the info.json file, i.e. name and version have to match.

If yes, make sure that your zip file contains only a single folder (the one described above).

Also, you can post your log file (or have a look yourself). It should tell you why the mod is not loaded.

Return to “Modding help”