Big entities popping in

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Big entities popping in

Post by ownlyme »

It's now the third time i'm struggling to create an entity that is so big that it causes glitches when the player moves out of the sight range.
I wish there was a parameter for rendering distance or drawing box (not this useless (?) thing: https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Entity#drawing_box)
My wind turbines i had to split in 3 parts... Top, bottom and shadow... and the graphics are still plopping in.
Right now i'm working on a new version of the mushroom cloud but i have to split the animation of the explosion in at least 16 parts to even have a chance...

edit: not even that would work, as it would cause weird render layer bugs when 2 explosions run at the same time.. but maybe i could fix it with luarendering <.<
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Big entities popping in

Post by posila »

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Please provide reproduction steps etc etc if this is meant to be in bug reports.

If this is meant to be in modding help: The rendering depends on the collision box. Make the collision box the approximate size of your main sprite and it should work without any problems unless your shadow is like 10 tiles long. There is a lot of leeway for how close the collision box and sprite have to be, see entity_renderer_search_box_limits in utility constants.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

ok then its just a little bit ridiculous that we waste our collision box for that..^^
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

Return to “Modding help”