tutorial Mod not showing up in game

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Skybeach88
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

tutorial Mod not showing up in game

Post by Skybeach88 »

Hi all, I am attempting to learn how to create mods for Factorio. I have followed the modding tutorial on the wiki.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Modd ... al/Gangsir

I have double and triple checked that I have all the files in all the right folders and subfolders in the %appdata%/.factorio/mods folder, yet the mod does not show up in the mod list in game. I even tried editing the mod-list.json file to enable it and factorio just overwrites the file and gets rid of it, I am not quite sure how to proceed with getting the mod to actually be seen by the game. Any and all advice would be appreciated please.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: tutorial Mod not showing up in game

Post by Pi-C »

When you start Factorio, the game will check the mods to load. For each mod, the mod version with the highest number will be loaded by default; if the same version is available as zip file and unpacked, the unpacked version will be used.

To find out why your mod isn't loaded, start the game and check factorio-current.log for any messages about loading your mod. If other mods are active, there may be a conflict (perhaps your mod depends on another one that can't be loaded?). In this case, try to disable all other mods and restart again.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Skybeach88 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:45 pm
%appdata%/.factorio/mods folder
The fact that you say your mod entry gets overwritten in the mods-list.json file makes me want to ask/point out the following:

1) You are putting your mod files into a folder/zip file within the mods folder, right? %appdata%/.factorio/mods/<mod_name_here>/
Optional: %appdata%/.factorio/mods/<mod_name_here>_<version>/

2) Double check your info.json file for formatting issues and that the "name" field matches the folder/zip file's name (without version number) and, if you have the version number in the folder/zip file's name, that the "version" field in the info.json file matches this, too.

Otherwise, yeah, as Pi-C wrote, check the log for anything further.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Skybeach88
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skybeach88 »

Thank you everyone for the input, I went through and double triple checked my file structure (even including the .zip) and it was correct, finally found the problem. My info.json file was ACTUALLY named info.json.txt and I didn't realize it because I had extensions hidden, fixed that and it works now.

Return to “Modding help”