Allow beacons-like machine to give an effect without any modules in it to surrounding machines

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Glsl2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Allow beacons-like machine to give an effect without any modules in it to surrounding machines

Post by Glsl2 »

Hello everyone, I am trying to experiment with an idea I had for a mod. In the mod, I want a beacon-like device to give a slowdown effect (negative speed) to machines around it. Another specification I have is that the machine must have no module slots.

After looking through the documentation I cannot figure out how to do this or if this can even be done. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow beacons-like machine to give an effect without any modules in it to surrounding machines

Post by sparr »

I'm not sure about negative effects, but a common way to achieve the other sort of behavior you're describing is to have a visible dummy entity, and then an invisible entity that does the real work, which would be a beacon with a module in it, all handled transparently by the mod so the player only ever interacts with the dummy entity.

Glsl2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Allow beacons-like machine to give an effect without any modules in it to surrounding machines

Post by Glsl2 »

I see. But how do I attach a invisible entity to the visible entity? Is it done in the control.lua file?

BrainGamer_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainGamer_ »

Glsl2 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:06 am
I see. But how do I attach a invisible entity to the visible entity? Is it done in the control.lua file?
Yes you would need to use runtime scripting for this behaviour

Glsl2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Glsl2 »

Can you advise me on how to do this. I have limited experience with the control.lua file.

So after a bit of trial and error I have figured out how to create an invisible entity at the location of the visible entity. How do I use the visible entity to configure the invisible entity?

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

You would need to register event handlers for when the visible entity gets built, and create the invisible entity. And when the visible entity is destroyed/mined, remove the invisible entity.

Configuring the invisible entity could happen when they player opens the GUI for the visible entity, just create your own GUI next to it. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/combinator-text is a mod of mine that adds a GUI alongside the vanilla combinator GUI, and there are many other examples in other mods.

Glsl2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Glsl2 »

Erm. While trying to place a machine that creates the invisible entity I got a crash. It's not very descriptive, it says something is wrong with the fluid box, "requestedCount <= prototypes.size() was not true." I have attached the log file below. I assume something is wrong with my fluid box prototype declaration, but I can't figure it out.

Code: Select all

name = "heat-distributer-visible",
    type = "assembling-machine",
    icon = "filepath"/heat_distribution_plate.png",
    icon_size = 64,
    gui_title_key = "heat-distributer-visible",

fixed_recipe = "use-steam-to-heat",
    energy_usage = "300W",
    crafting_categories = {"crafting"},
    crafting_speed = 1,

tile_width = 2,
    tile_height = 2,
    collision_box = {{-1.2, -1.2}, {1.2, 1.2}},
    selection_box = {{-1.5, -1.5}, {1.5, 1.5}},

energy_source = {
        type = "fluid",
        scale_fluid_usage = false,
        fluid_usage_per_tick = 3,
        fluid_box = {
            base_area = 1,
            height = 2,
            base_level = -1,
            pipe_covers = pipecoverspictures(),
            burns_fluid = false,
            pipe_connections =
            {
                {type = "input", position = {1.5, 0.5}, filter = "super-heated-steam"},
                {type = "input", position = {-1.5, 0.5}, filter = "super-heated-steam"}
            },
            production_type = "input"
        }

},

minable = {mining_time = 0.5, result = "heat-distributer-visible"}
factorio-current.log
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Edit: I have fixed the crash by changing the type to generator and changed energy_source to electric and added fluid_box

Return to “Modding help”