what's the pixel x pixel dpi/res of Facotrio 2D game artwork

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
noken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

what's the pixel x pixel dpi/res of Facotrio 2D game artwork

Post by noken »

I'm looking to create animation artwork for a mod in this game and I am new to doing it. Can anyone inform me on the dpi setting of original in game artwork for this game? I'm also unsure of what "tiles" mean. Please inform me. Thanks!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: what's the pixel x pixel dpi/res of Facotrio 2D game artwork

Post by Arch666Angel »

If you pause the game, or enable the debug mode you can see/enable the grid. One grid tile is 32x32 pixels. So if you want to make a sprite for an assembler, which is 3x3 tiles, it would be 96x96 pixels for the building plus a bit of alpha/transparent overhang for the shadows. But be aware that if you model something in a 3D app, factorio uses a parallel view with an angle of 45°, so your model has to be longer or higher to compensate for that to look square.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: what's the pixel x pixel dpi/res of Facotrio 2D game artwork

Post by daniel34 »

DPI is just a print setting, it has no relevance for Factorio images. You only need to care about the width/height in pixels.
Arch666Angel wrote:If you pause the game, or enable the debug mode you can see/enable the grid.
The easiest way to see the grid is to pause it with Shift+Space. Each square in the grid is a tile. The darker lines in the grid mark the space of 32x32 tiles, called a chunk. (Options --> Graphics --> Show grid when game is paused has to be enabled, but it is by default.)

Check the graphics in Factorio\data\base\graphics, there you can see how they should look for each image in the game.

Moved to Modding help.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “Modding help”