entities that only collide with each other

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

entities that only collide with each other

Post by sparr »

I want to make an entity that does not collide with any full layer, but does collide with copies of itself so that two of them can't be [accidentally] placed in the same tile.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: entities that only collide with each other

Post by ficolas »

The way to do it would be to put them in the same collision mask but they are (almost?) the only ones in that colision mask, I guess that if you make them only have as a collision box player, or ghost, It will work fine

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

How do you control which collision mask an entity goes to? I wouldn't put them in player since I don't want them to collide with player, but putting them in ghost *could* work.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

You would have to give them to custom collision mask and it is not possible now, but we might add it as modding possibility in the future.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

bumping request for custom collision mask

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

A partial solution here is to use the "unused" collision layers listed at https://wiki.factorio.com/Types/CollisionMask

Code: Select all

collision_mask = { "layer-14" }
This will only collide with other things on layer-14, which is not used in the base game. Another mod might coincidentally use it, which would be unfortunate luck.

Permittivity
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Permittivity »

I've often thought that doing something like this with logistic bots would be a way to balance them. It would stop bots from being used to convey huge amounts of material between two points without impacting the ability to use bots in roles they are more uniquely suited for.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Permittivity wrote:I've often thought that doing something like this with logistic bots would be a way to balance them. It would stop bots from being used to convey huge amounts of material between two points without impacting the ability to use bots in roles they are more uniquely suited for.
Please keep the debate on bots vs belts in one of the many topics that already exist. This is a request for a modding feature, period.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Modding interface requests”