[1.1.61+] GameViewSettings to have camera offset (allows aimming, driving and guidance)

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
KeepResearchinSpoons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.1.61+] GameViewSettings to have camera offset (allows aimming, driving and guidance)

Post by KeepResearchinSpoons »

What
I want to be able to shift the camera around getting the character off the mid of the screen for level-design and gameplay reasons.
How
GameViewSettings could have an rw param of a position (offset); aka {number,number} | {x=number, y=number} | nil (or {0,0}?)
nil or {0,0} as the default;

offset vector is given in tiles
(or, maybe, in % (0.) of vieport size? (Not sure vieport can be reasonably relied to gameplay-wise though)
allows to change where the middle-of-the-screen points at.
Why
reasons include but not limited to:
[*] aim from the riffle (or from your trusty arty cannon!) in the direction of your choise keeping both the interactivity and engine's collisions, zones, events. And the zoom scale of what you want.
[*] guide the player to the point of interest without introducing a cumbersome unresponsive(!) cutscene (this is not a pause, this is a hint!)
[*] shift the camera a bit towards the "enemy side" when you clean the ribbon-like map; half the screen with no bitors on it is not as fun kappa! I need to zoom out to see "farther", but I often can't get too close for them to be all-around, yet need details on that particular part of the screen.
[*] you can also follow the rocket that flies away leaving you behind on the polluted planet with your interpolated eyes for a short while.
[*] You can vibe up-up down-down left-right left-right, fish, enable-exos just along the speaker melody.
[*] did I say driving?

The rest

Return to “Modding interface requests”