a filter on roboport robot type

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
AartBluestoke
Inserter
Inserter

a filter on roboport robot type

Post by AartBluestoke »

I like having a couple of construction bots near my front lines to do rapid repairs. I dont' like that other random logistics bots can clog the roboport up.

I would like to be able to have a roboport with 1 logistics and 1 construction slot, or some other chosen (either hard coded by the mod, or by player) filter for only certain types of bots in certain slots.

either this would be a requester chest style filter so that only the exact type of bot could land there, or something more broard that somehow restricted to the cateory of "any logistics bot" or "any construction bot"

This could even be done at a whole-of-roboport level, the only increase in complexity i can see is the divergence between free-space-for-logistics, and free-space-for-construction, when searching for where to return home for a bot, and given that a roboport can be full anyway, i can't see this being a substantial change in processing cost.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: a filter on roboport robot type

Post by robot256 »

It's not an exact answer to your question, but I have dealt with this problem using vanilla before. The root of the problem is normally that logistics bots continuously move ammo and repair packs to the border wall, and never have any reason to fly back to the main base. We can correct this problem with..more logistics bots!

Use a filter inserter to remove logistics bots (all logistics bots) from any roboport you want reserved for construction bots. Have the filter inserter place the unwanted logistics bots into an active provider chest. Then more logistics bots will take flight to carry the excess ones back to the storage chests in your central base.

This relies on you also having an automatic bot inserter at your main base, so the bots can be reused. This is a requester chest with logistic bots, and an inserter with a simple circuit using the roboport output for "total logistic bot" to limit the total number of bots in the network. (A second common cause of "no space for construction bots" is a logistic bot assembler inserting bots into a roboport without any limit!)

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

robot256 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:05 am
Use a filter inserter to remove logistics bots (all logistics bots) from any roboport you want reserved for construction bots. Have the filter inserter place the unwanted logistics bots into an active provider chest. Then more logistics bots will take flight to carry the excess ones back to the storage chests in your central base.
I wonder if you could make this even fancier by instead offloading the robots into a regular chest, waiting until there are two (or a few, with capacity upgrades) robots in the chest, and then temporarily disable the inserter that removes the bots, put just one of the robots back *into* the roboport, and then the rest into an active provider, so that the one robot that was returned to the roboport can be given the job of bringing the other robot(s) back, with no need for another robot to fly out from the main base.

I'm not certain this will actually work, and it's probably overcomplicated for very little real benefit, but when has anything being overcomplicated stopped people :)

vangrunz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vangrunz »

I am searching for such a solution as well while the best way to prevent "overflow" of a certain robo type is to lock the slots like in Inventory. Even in normal steel chests the slots cannot be locked so this seems to be "under the radar".

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to exist a mod for this.

A simple CTRL+SHIFT+right click would solve this problem. In my earlier savegame, I had to manually sort the robots over dozens of roboports many times.

Return to “Modding interface requests”