Add options for radius and color of the map hint for remotes

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Add options for radius and color of the map hint for remotes

Post by ukezi »

Artillery remotes are currently doing an overlay on the map in red. There doesn't seem to be any options while modding to change the color, radius, or shape of that overlay.
I would like the option to adjust that, so that for instance if you are using mods with stronger weapons, like True Nukes, or with utility shells like Nullius, you can adjust the hint to correlate with the actual effect.

A bonus would be to add an option to change the shape of the overlay and maybe even anchor it to the grid.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Add options for radius and color of the map hint for remotes

Post by Rseding91 »

The color is defined in utility-constants.lua as "artillery_range_visualization_color"

The radius is defined by the trigger on the artillery shell(s) in the artillery in range.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Anachrony
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Add options for radius and color of the map hint for remotes

Post by Anachrony »

Like the radius field on an AreaTriggerItem? How would you customize it for a DirectTriggerItem?

Nullius "artillery" mainly work via the ScriptTriggerEffectItem targeting whatever coordinates the projectile strikes. The size of the effect in the script doesn't directly correspond to any other properties specified within the trigger prototype. I'd be open to suggestions of how to change the trigger to customize the radius. But I don't think making it an area trigger is quite right since it's meant to target 1 location per projectile rather than entities within a radius. It does have some secondary nested area effects already, but those nested effects don't seem to be a factor in how the radius is displayed. Some of the script effects are more square than circular, for what it's worth, though a circle approximately the size of the square would still be a step up.

ETA: Some of these script effects also snap to the nearest chunk boundary, so the targeting is not entirely accurate, but usually close enough since the ones that snap to the grid affect many chunks. Still, it might help people target more accurately if there was some way to represent that.

Return to “Modding interface requests”