Icon or text indicating mod is zip or folder in game

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Icon or text indicating mod is zip or folder in game

Post by Honktown »

I was updating+loading some mods I don't normally have active, and, one not updated was extracted which could've caught me by surprise, had I made changes. It turned out I hadn't edited the mod after unzipping, but I didn't realize until I was closely inspecting which mods did and did not update, and was looking in my mods folder.

I see that when a duplicate mod is detected in the log, it says "higher" version and "folder" version, which leaves out the case of only folder or zip. It's apparent to me *now* I can check the log to see if a folder or zip is loaded (most of the time, for a specific mod in question), but it'd be much more obvious if there was an indicator in the Mods menu.

Examples of conveying the information:
1) Folder or Zip icon next to Version strings. *very* easy to look down the Versions in the main window and know if it is a folder or zip. Maybe if there was only a zip it doesn't show anything, as that is most common. If it were a folder, or if there were a duplicate detected, have an icon after version.

2) Have the icon next to the "Version" and/or "Active version" when a mod is selected. Can't see all mods at a glance, but it would be somewhere.

3) A box under Version: "Location: <icon> path-as-loaded" so it could look like "Location: [folder-icon] my-mod-name_0.0.1" to indicate mods/my-mod-name_0.0.1/info.json or "Location: [zip-icon] downloaded_but_higher_duplicate_2.0.5.zip"

4) if it were restricted to the log, a hidden/debug setting to print mods loaded from zip and mods loaded from folder. The information would be immediately accessible, though mildly inconvenient.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Icon or text indicating mod is zip or folder in game

Post by curiosity »

You saying that some mods didn't update after updating makes it sound related to a bug where version selection (and all other mod versions in general) is ignored if there is an unversioned folder of the mod.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Icon or text indicating mod is zip or folder in game

Post by Honktown »

curiosity wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:51 am
You saying that some mods didn't update after updating makes it sound related to a bug where version selection (and all other mod versions in general) is ignored if there is an unversioned folder of the mod.
No, sorry, there simply wasn't a newer version. For some reason I did extract the mod. I make personal changes to mods sometimes, and it would be easy to forget as months go by
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Modding interface requests”