[0.11.22] [pending] Failed to create display

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
grimduck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.11.22] [pending] Failed to create display

Post by grimduck »

I've posted about this the in technical help but now I have a log file. This started happening from one of the last updates (I got 2 or 3 update in 1 go)

So basically I start factorio and a window with a white background start popping up and closing for a few seconds. That look like retrying an action.
After a while I get the error message.

Rebooting laptop resolved the issue last time. So I guess that many a better error message informing us that we do not have enough memory could be the correct fix.

0.002 2015-05-01 09:56:36; Factorio 0.11.22 (Build 14011, win64)
0.002 Operating system: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
0.002 Read data path: E:/Program Files/Factorio/data
0.002 Write data path: C:/Users/Glen/AppData/Roaming/Factorio
0.002 Binaries path: E:/Program Files/Factorio/bin
11.046 Error Util.cpp:43: failed to create display!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.22] Failed to create display

Post by kovarex »

Hello, what is your graphics card? Does it still happen in 0.12?

grimduck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.11.22] [pending] Failed to create display

Post by grimduck »

Sorry for the extreme late reply, yes it still happens. Rebooting my laptop solve the problem, killing firefox seems to sometimes resolve the issue as well.

I've also tested that when factorio does not start other games do start (for example europa universalis 4).
It sometime happens quickly, for example after 1 evening of playing. Other times it take an entire week to show up, I've not found out what is triggering it.

I have an ATI HD 5730 Graphics card, it might be a driver issue as I have an old version of the driver (and if I upgrade my laptop does not boot any more, driver customized by the laptop producer or so it seems)

Sorry for the low amount of info. I understand the difficulty fixing a bug within the correct context.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Can you attach here log from 0.12, please? We have more logging related to display info in current version.

grimduck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by grimduck »

next time it happens I'll post the log files. Sorry at that moment I did not known the location of the log files. It has happens in 0.12 but as said no idea what triggers it.

grimduck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by grimduck »

and it happened just now. Attached the log file.

I killed my firefox and steam via the windows task manager and then I could start factorio (and after starting factorio I could start firefox and steam)
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(432 Bytes) Downloaded 142 times

Return to “Pending”