Error loading game

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Spiffyman30
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Error loading game

Post by Spiffyman30 »

Around half the time when I load my last game after just opening the game, I get a popup message "Error. Unexpected error occurred" and I have to force quit Factorio and try again. Sometime it happens 4-5 times in a row, and sometime I can get in on the first try. If I click out of the popup box, the game just sits there with a loading bar and it never progresses any farther or does really anything else until I force quit and try again. Closing Factorio normally doesn't seem to work. Im on a MacBook Pro Retina Late 2012 if that helps. Everything in game works perfectly, and I love the game so far, but this error is starting to annoy me. Currently I'm on 0.12.20 and just downloaded the game like a week ago, and it has been occurring since day one.
Attachments
After this, I have to force quit. Although it never says that the application stopped responding, I have waited for over 10 min and have had still nothing happen.
After this, I have to force quit. Although it never says that the application stopped responding, I have waited for over 10 min and have had still nothing happen.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 2.40.52 PM.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 25243 times
The level of the loading bar isn't always full, but it never changes once it gets an error. Often it looks full like that though.
The level of the loading bar isn't always full, but it never changes once it gets an error. Often it looks full like that though.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 2.38.27 PM.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 25243 times

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Error loading game

Post by prg »

So what about that log file the error message mentions?
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Spiffyman30
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Spiffyman30 »

prg wrote:So what about that log file the error message mentions?
I can't find it. I look in the Application Support it says to look in, and it isn't there. Wherever it is, it isn't where it says it is.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Could you try running Factorio in a terminal and see if that outputs anything interesting?
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Spiffyman30
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Spiffyman30 »

prg wrote:Could you try running Factorio in a terminal and see if that outputs anything interesting?
I would if I knew how. It's just weird that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, with no real pattern.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Hmm, don't know anything about OS X, but... maybe go through the list of installed applications, find something with "terminal" in its name or description. Then figure out which binary to run, right click -> properties on the desktop icon or whatever you start Factorio with usually might help with that.

Alternatively, isn't there some system wide "find files" utility that could help you locate factorio-current.log?

Or wait for someone who actually knows something about Macs.

Spiffyman30
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Spiffyman30 »

prg wrote:Hmm, don't know anything about OS X, but... maybe go through the list of installed applications, find something with "terminal" in its name or description. Then figure out which binary to run, right click -> properties on the desktop icon or whatever you start Factorio with usually might help with that.

Alternatively, isn't there some system wide "find files" utility that could help you locate factorio-current.log?

Or wait for someone who actually knows something about Macs.
Well I know what the terminal is, but I don't know how to run a binary in it or if you can even do that on Mac. I looked through the package content and found no log files either. The system wide search function found no "factorio-current.log" files of any kind either. Probably just going to have to see if the next update fixes it or another Mac user to tell me whats up if they found the problem/solution. Thanks for the help though.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, try it in the newest 0.12.21, there have been some fixed that can be related.

If it still happens in the newest version post the contents of the log file and the save game as well please.

Spiffyman30
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Spiffyman30 »

I read somewhere that I should reduce the threads and that is actually working really well so far. Hasn't crashed again yet

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Spiffyman30 wrote:I read somewhere that I should reduce the threads and that is actually working really well so far. Hasn't crashed again yet
This is exactly what was happening in 0.12.20, in 0.12.21 it should work properly even with big thread count.

Return to “Pending”