[0.11.19] [slpwnd] Peaceful mode biters can still attack buildings

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.11.19] [slpwnd] Peaceful mode biters can still attack buildings

Post by Mangledpork »

Idle biters will occasionally dart across the map, and will destroy anything that blocks their path, be it trees, buildings, or the player. This makes sense normally but if you try and build a factory in a biter-infested area in peaceful mode it quickly becomes an issue.
You can see this in this episode of my series: Factorio: Living With Biters Ep#10
It starts at 10:30 with 1 and then 2 biters breaking through the wall in order to break out on the other side. At the very end of the video multiple biters are attacking the same area, possibly related to them being repeatedly pushed away by belts.
Last edited by Mangledpork on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Peaceful mode biters can still attack buildings

Post by Ohz »

Yes, I'm watching your serie, it's a very interesting behavior that they bite your walls from side to side of your factory until they pass through. Interesting experience, and mostly because you can't deal with, only avoid by surrounding you by belts. I was wondering why you didn't handcraft few red belts to get rid of the last one btw.

I just started same kind of scenario just yesterday for the very interesting way of how you finally draw your factory and enclose in rooms each part, reminding me the FF#56 screenshot introducing gates.

Love your work,
Ohz.
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.19] Peaceful mode biters can still attack buildings

Post by slpwnd »

Hmmm, funny=) Do you maybe have a save just before when this starts happening?

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

Probably, but I'm pretty sure it's a standard biter activity, because you can see them darting about on any map with any settings. I guess it's so that biters don't get stuck on trees or something, but it doesn't fit in so well in peaceful mode.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

They shouldn't really be running around too much. They should stay within reasonable distance of their spawner. This is what we call a "wander behavior". That is a sort of random walk around the spawner. When they get too far they will actually try to find their way back.

Return to “Pending”