Version 0.7.1

Information about releases and roadmap.
gr0mpel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 0.7.1

Post by gr0mpel »

ssilk wrote:Look into the linked article! It is already possible to turn of the steam engines more or less automatically. And nothing else makes sense. Think through it!
finally got the time to read it....well you made a point. seems to be a very elegant solution. im going to use it i guess :D

sorry for the off-topic conversation here!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I've added a wiki page for that, because that question pops up frequently.
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ic_network

I'm sure, the devs will implement at some time "sensors", which can do that switching more elegant. Currently I think this is a working solution, and fascinating in some way, but complicated; takes about 3-10 minutes to built that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

@ssilk Nice overview of nice and elegant solution. And yes, eventually there will be sensors.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Ouch, I went to attack some enemies, and when I came back I found that there is a base in my base. Big biters rampaging through solar arrays, single big worms on various places of my production line, solitary spawners just a few squares from my labs...i thought this was supposed to be fixed in 0.7.1 :lol:

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Okay here it comes. I managed to get a save game right before a spawner spawns out of nothing right under a player, between buildings. Happy bughunting ^^

Load, just wait about 20 secs, a spawner appears between player and steam engine.
http://sc2.ic.cz/wtfspawn.zip

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

@FrozenOne thanks for the save. And surprise surprise there was still a bug in the colonization logic, sigh. The precached values of player buildings on chunks were not stored in the game state. We will give it a shot at 0.7.2 :) And yes, the spawners should not appear magically.

knut
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by knut »

slpwnd wrote:@FrozenOne
We forgot to put this one into the migration scripts. The definition of combat robotics have changed. Something like:

Code: Select all

game.player.force.recipes["defender-capsule"].enabled = true
and

game.player.force.recipes["distractor-capsule"].enabled = true
should help.
I wrote down this code in this file---2013-10-05_Factorio_0.7.1.lua--- , to the address C:\Factorio\data\base\migrations , but occurred nothing. help

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

why not just run it in the console? should be / or ~ (unless you have a non-standard keyboard for some reason). quick tip, you can paste into the console by using ctrl+v
edit: also the probable reason is that the 2013-10-05_Factorio_0.7.1 script has already been ran on that save, you could try creating a new one by copying the 10-5, adding the code, and changing the name with a later date. Though I'm not 100% sure that will work. I know the console does :)
edit2: on second thought, if you go with the new file I think the proper code would be something along these lines

game.reloadscript()
game.player.force.resettechnologies()
game.player.force.resetrecipes()

if game.isdemo() then
  return
end

for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do
  if force.technologies["combat-robotics"].researched then
    game.player.force.recipes["defender-capsule"].enabled = true
  end
  if force.technologies["combat-robotics-2"].researched then
    game.player.force.recipes["distractor-capsule"].enabled = true
  end
end
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Amaror
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Amaror »

I always get an SSL connect Error, when trying to download the update through the game.
Already checked that Factorio is enabled in the Firewall.
Anyone know what i could do to solve this?

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

I'm not sure if it's obvious or already been answered, but what are the hotkeys for the extra toolbelt? Is it 6-0 and Shift + 6-0?

PS I'm happy to see the 1280x1024 electric info resolved, I freaked out when I saw the problem persisted in 0.7.0... And of course amazing changes in 0.7.x, it's like a completely new game.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Holy-Fire wrote:I'm not sure if it's obvious or already been answered, but what are the hotkeys for the extra toolbelt? Is it 6-0 and Shift + 6-0?
Actually, the extra toolbelt uses the exact same hotkeys. Once it's researched there is a button, with a circling arrow on it (kind of like a reload/refresh button on a web browser), that appears on your toolbar, pressing it or using the hotkey 'x' (by default) will swap the toolbar to the toolbelt and back. It's easy to tell the difference because the toolbelt icons have a blue/purplish background instead of grey
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Math3vv
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Math3vv »

it would be cooltough if you could use "0-6" and "shift 0-6" to use the 2nd toolbar whitout having to press "x"

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

I'd prefer 1-0 and 0 for the normal hotbar and shift+1-0 for the toolbelt.
And with 1-0 I mean 1-9 and 0

Math3vv
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Math3vv »

ficolas wrote:I'd prefer 1-0 and 0 for the normal hotbar and shift+1-0 for the toolbelt.
And with 1-0 I mean 1-9 and 0
gamer logic : we all know that 1-0 means 1234567890 :P

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I mean the quick bar is ... not well designed. There are some behavior of it, which makes it really uncool, e.g. if the stuff runs out. I already wrote some articles about it... the problem is, that it behaves like a stack. And I won't that, because this is really not like in reality. In reality I take something, and when it is empty I keep knowing, that I had it in my hand. Currently it is forgotten, which is really a pain. So my hand is a stack, ok, but the quickbar shouldn't be stacks, it should be a "rule", which of the stacks in my inventory should be put in my hand now.

This would change the whole inventory stuff! Of course. But I think there can be some compromises, which won't make it so harmful.

And I think already a while for it now and I mean it should behave more like in a shooter. In some shooters you normally have at "1" the pistols and when you continue to press 1 you select through your pistols. Simple. Everyone understands that!

So converted for factorio:

In weapon-mode (10 are really too much, 6 is really enough):
:as in a shooter. 1 is pistol/gun, 2 shootgun/flamethrower, 3 rockets/laser, 4 mines and robots, 5 capsules and 6 would be currently free.
Shift-123456
:reverse order of shifting through your groups.
Alt-123456
: built X ammo for this weapon

In built-mode (switching between them with X seems to be ok for me...?!) up to 10 groups are useful:
:1 would be belts, splitters and underground belts, 2 inserters chests, 3 poles, lamps and electricity, 4 mines, assemblies and furnaces, 5 rail-stuff (tracks, train, signal), 6 turrets, walls car, 7 8 9 0 are free for own stuff like now.
Shift-1234567890
:reverse order of going through the groups.
Alt-1234567890
:built 5 of this item

Again: Will change SOME things but I don't think, that we need to change it all. I just suggest it in this way, that you can see, that it would be much more useful than now.
Last edited by ssilk on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wrtlprnft »

You do know that you can middle-click on a toolbar slot to force it to only (and always, if possible) contain a specific item? This is pretty much the “rule” you're talking about. On the other hand, I might be completely missing your point…

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

My point is, that the quickbar is some kind too flexible. :) I bet, that only 30% of the gamers found out, how it worked with the middle-mouse.
I mean, the concepts are not logical and clear. Sometimes it is the item you select, what you built. Sometimes it is the weapon you select, what you fight. And there are now 3 of them (2 quickbars and one bar for the weapons). I need to use them with mouse and sometimes with keyboard.

In other words: Too many concepts mixed together and giving the player the total freedom to configure it, is not always the best idea.

And in other words: I play it now so long and didn't really understand the idea/concept behind the quickbar etc. O. K. I'm sometimes really stupid. But even after this afternoon looking hard, how I can really make the quickbar useful for me, I fail. I use currently 1, 2 and 3 for belt, basic inserter and poles and found it useful for some other things. But when I put straight tracks in it, I found me in the situation, that I also need curves. And signals. And when I put assemblies in it, I found me in the situation, that I also need bigger poles, fast belts, fast inserters, splitters. And so on. It isn't really useful to change the configuration of this toolbar every 5 minutes. And cause it is also not useful to make a third, a fourth etc. quickbar (for every configuration one) I think, that the concept of it is not quite right.

Maybe the devs have a completly different idea in mind and this second quickbar now is just a better-than-nothing-solution. But for me the second quickbar is just the extension of a not so well working concept. :)

And don't misunderstand me: I mean with some - maybe quite simple - changes, the quickbar will work much better. But I won't make so detailed descriptions, because I want much more, that the devs understand, where the problem is.

Math3vv
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Math3vv »

ssilk wrote:In some shooters you normally have at "1" the pistols and when you continue to press 1 you select through your pistols. Simple. Everyone understands that!
Ther is a key that cycles trough your guns : "Q" (you can change it to any key in the options)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Q has double function, at first in unselects the stack in hand and then it switches weapon. I always mixing up, when I have something in my hand and when not. So I moved switching weapons to another key (I think >).

The current behavior is a problem I made many tests (with some other key setups) and many thoughts before. And this type of double function of a key is so ... unusual... because the first two keystrokes have a completely different function and then the function repeats. And can't be reversed.

And now I will finish my complaints about it. :) ... the game is well useable, even with that problems! And all I want to say is: see, why it is a problem and keep it in your head and change it, if it is really the time.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I found the middle click filter within my first 5 plays, most of those quickly ending in defeat after the tutorial missions.
I also think that the toolbar/belt are fine as is, and that ssilk is just trying to force this aspect of Factorio to fit in some cookie cutter mold for an FPS (which Factorio isn't remotely like.)
Just chiming in, to let ssilk know that he's once again assuming too much :p ;)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Return to “Releases”