[Request] Mod to teleport items/liquids/energy

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Request] Mod to teleport items/liquids/energy

Post by donoya »

I really would like a mod like this. Minecraft modders have made quite a few variants on it, so hopefully someone can replicate the mod content for Factorio.

And the mod I'm talking about is one that adds a structure that allows for instant transfer of items and liquids (maybe energy, too) between other structures of the same type. This could be placed at the VERY end of the tech tree so as not to be too easy to get. Also, high energy cost for maintenance would work, as well (something like 20 gigawatts of energy). It also should be expensive material-wise. It should be configurable so it links up with only the instances you specify. Also, this may be asking for a lot, but maybe make an option that allows only the player that put it down to use it (this would be very useful for multiplayer).

Sirenfal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Request] Mod to teleport items/liquids/energy

Post by Sirenfal »

I have a bit of a plan to do this, but it might be awhile. I'm planning on creating a teleportation pad and a receiver pad which has a cooldown (probably around 2 minutes on activation), and uses something like 2MW * number of items (items, not stacks) with some kind of distance scalar as well.

I'm not sure when I'll write this, but that's my interpretation on it.

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

Sirenfal wrote:I have a bit of a plan to do this, but it might be awhile. I'm planning on creating a teleportation pad and a receiver pad which has a cooldown (probably around 2 minutes on activation), and uses something like 2MW * number of items (items, not stacks) with some kind of distance scalar as well.

I personally would prefer for there to be no cooldown, but maybe some people would prefer it with. Either way, you could add that as a config option. I hope you get around to it soon, though, because I really want a mod like this.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

donoya wrote:
Sirenfal wrote:I have a bit of a plan to do this, but it might be awhile. I'm planning on creating a teleportation pad and a receiver pad which has a cooldown (probably around 2 minutes on activation), and uses something like 2MW * number of items (items, not stacks) with some kind of distance scalar as well.

I personally would prefer for there to be no cooldown, but maybe some people would prefer it with. Either way, you could add that as a config option. I hope you get around to it soon, though, because I really want a mod like this.
Why? The entire point of the game is building the factory - moving items and fluids from point A to point B so they can be used/processed.

Removing *all* of that by adding teleporters removes 95% of what the game is. Just enable cheat mode and give yourself everything if you don't want to play the game.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Strategic Sage
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Strategic Sage »

The way I read it, the proposal wasn't to remove all of it though. If there's a sufficiently high cost for doing it, you wouldn't want to use it for most things.

Sirenfal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sirenfal »

At least for me personally, my teleportation mod is another higher tier tech to play with in a very large modpack. Like Feed the Beast, it's fun to have higher tiers of things to keep climbing towards rather than the game just being "launch the rocket" or "launch more rockets faster". Vanilla is pretty simple and streamlined, which is nice for introducing the game to people but gets very boring very quickly, at least for me and the people I play with. Creating optimized bases isn't very difficult or entertaining, especially when the most optimal bases involve massive logistics abuse which effectively is the same kind of thing you're arguing- Where's the fun in robots delivering things to ultra compressed beacon setups without any complexity at all? There isn't any. The goal of my modpack is to try to make using stuff like that unreasonable and/or inefficient at scale so you're forced to keep actually building and playing if you want to get to the highest tiers.

Teleportation, with a sufficiently high cost, may partially replace trains but can't reasonably replace anything else. That cost means you have to scale power. Scaling power in vanilla Factorio is boring, which means you have a reason to want to try more interesting power sources like reactor mods that require automation, material processing/reprocessing, etc.

And there's nothing wrong with replacing something like trains if the climb to the replacement is complicated.

There's also something to be said for surface based mods and teleportation between surfaces. Sadly, the mod community is sorely lacking in surface mods both due to complexity and due to engine limitations.

My biggest regret in this game is that it's not reasonable for performance to have both enormous worlds and scary aliens (Rampant AI, etc) because the alien AI ends up wrecking the CPU. It's a shame, I hope future patches improve aliens a lot, but I guess that doesn't seem to be a priority given how most people enjoy this game.

EDIT: On the power point, Nucular/Uranium Power I haven't explored yet but I'm hoping to find something along the lines of GregTech's fusion reactors from the old DireWolf FTB packs circa 2014 or so. GregTech had a lot of unnecessary grinding but the mechanics were really fun imo. It took a ton of time and investment (mentally and logistically) to get a fusion reactor running, and I eventually accidentally blew up my entire base by cross connecting 10m volt wires. Oops.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”