Grief detection: tile placement/damage/removal logging?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Plawerth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Grief detection: tile placement/damage/removal logging?

Post by Plawerth »

I come from Minecraft, running about 8-10 public modpack servers with a large team of admins over the last several years ( Andromeda Network ), and looking at this game, multiplayer mode is basically like vanilla MC without any plugins..... the servers are near total anarchy. Sure, most people want to try to work together but some people are idjits and just want to wreck things. I saw a huge awesome public Factorio server totally firebombed and trashed this week, and it's now dead, waiting for the weekly reset. Very sad.

If only there was a way to log tile placement / removal / destruction, to know who or what did the damage, and then any griefers can be easily found and ejected. Y'know, sort of like the tools available to me on modded Minecraft that we've used for years without any major problems: Logblock, and then CoreProtect.

Want to know who removed or damaged a block? Select it and get a history of all changes at that location and the timestamps when the changes occurred.

Want to actually rollback the damage to before the griefing occurred? You can do that too, specifying the time period and the size of the area to be rolled back. This works days, even weeks after the griefing event.

A MySQL database per server stores the placement and removal of EVERY block in the game and it doesn't lag out or really affect Minecraft's performance at all. Surely this little game could easily implement something similar.

I don't know if there is a concept of server-only mods here (generally known as plugins over in MC universe), but this one would be server-side only, but can be exposed to anyone with the proper group permissions (Admins / Moderators, or Engineers / Draftsmen) to use it, simply by targeting or breaking the target tile to select it, and typing a slash command in the console to query that tile.

Though at this point I have no idea if Factorio LUA exposes access to external MySQL servers for data storage and retrieval.

Also, for more info on CoreProtect and a video explaining how it is used in Minecraft, and what similar functionality it has that would be useful here: https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/coreprotect

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Grief detection: tile placement/damage/removal logging?

Post by DedlySpyder »

The only action that factorio let's modders do is create a file in a set directory. As for logging the information, we can't access who killed an entity until 0.15.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Grief detection: tile placement/damage/removal logging?

Post by darkfrei »

I don't know if there is a concept of server-only mods here
It names "Scenario", you can add all control.lua scripts.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/darkfrei/Build-Statistic It collect some information who has deconstructed entities.
http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaG ... write_file How to save statistics into log file.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”