Line Wars

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
noken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Line Wars

Post by noken »

Line Wars was a simple game mode in Warcraft III where you had a hero and built up a tower defense in a pathway. In this pathway, you also sent creeps towards your enemy's base, and your enemy sent creeps toward you down the same path. The creeps would meet, fight, and the goal was to have your creeps win, make it to the enemy's base, and destroy it. It was a war won by the player who sent the most/most powerful creeps/had the best defense.

Now I'm imagining this type of game mode paired with Factorio. It'd be a race to create the fastest robot-soldier making automation, automatically set to run down this pathway toward your enemy's base. An important factor of this game type is you have no control over your robot army...as soon as they spawn they run down this pathway. Simple. Competitive. Fun. Re-playable.

So I'd love to see this mod in development, but I lack the ability to create it... However, I can help create 2D animation artwork for anyone who is interested in creating it.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Line Wars

Post by deepdriller »

If you want to play that game, why not just play League of Legends or DoTA? It'S the same concept, and I dare say it's way better than any equivalent you could ever write for Factorio.
BTW, the official name of the genre is Multiplayer Online Battle Arena or MOBA for short.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

deepdriller wrote:If you want to play that game, why not just play League of Legends or DoTA? It'S the same concept, and I dare say it's way better than any equivalent you could ever write for Factorio.
BTW, the official name of the genre is Multiplayer Online Battle Arena or MOBA for short.
Suggesting to go play a moba seems a tad mean to me, this is the ideas and suggestion forum after all.

Personally I like the idea of being able to build warbots, which I could use to grind down biter bases (such an idea fits in well with the automation aspect of factorio). It's a concept that's cropped up before in the development proposal threads. (small edit: though I see this is about an addition game mode - still half asleep and hungover :( ).
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

I thought he was only suggesting it because he doesn't know about those games.
Nevertheless, I'm not sure there can be a version that actually works. Building factories that make self-controlled attack robots, sure- but then you'd just have a regular RTS.

againey
Inserter
Inserter

Post by againey »

But what RTS has a base building component like Factorio? They almost always abstract out the process of moving resources around, as well as the construction of intermediate products. This suggestion would pull some concepts from other games/genres, sure, but it would still be uniquely Factorio due to the nature of base building.

noken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by noken »

againey wrote:But what RTS has a base building component like Factorio? They almost always abstract out the process of moving resources around, as well as the construction of intermediate products. This suggestion would pull some concepts from other games/genres, sure, but it would still be uniquely Factorio due to the nature of base building.
That is the way I look at my idea as well. Sure, you can see it as a MOBA, but this would be completely different. "Line Wars" in Factorio is an automated war that depends on your ability to build the best automation. No other MOBA is like that and to throw this idea out because we already have MOBA's is ignorant of the uniqueness of Factorio.

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

deepdriller wrote:If you want to play that game, why not just play League of Legends or DoTA? It'S the same concept, and I dare say it's way better than any equivalent you could ever write for Factorio.
Line wars isn't a moba, its more of a pvp tower defence. You (or your hero) can't actually attack the other towers or heroes. You can only send creep.

noken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by noken »

MrDoomah wrote: Line wars isn't a moba, its more of a pvp tower defence. You (or your hero) can't actually attack the other towers or heroes. You can only send creep.
Exactly. I couldn't have said it better. Now that we have that cleared up, Id like to move on with this idea.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, I do that also by moving to mod-requests. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Quantumtroll
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quantumtroll »

I'm no fan of the late game fighting, it just feels grindy and repetitive.

So I really like the idea of automated battling, and may very well decide to take this further if my own idea gains no traction.

It would be my first mod for Factorio, so I have no real clue as to how difficult this would be. If someone with some experience could give some input (e.g. how one could give basic marching orders to the battlebots), it'd be very much appreciated.

noken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by noken »

Quantumtroll wrote:I'm no fan of the late game fighting, it just feels grindy and repetitive.

So I really like the idea of automated battling, and may very well decide to take this further if my own idea gains no traction.

It would be my first mod for Factorio, so I have no real clue as to how difficult this would be. If someone with some experience could give some input (e.g. how one could give basic marching orders to the battlebots), it'd be very much appreciated.
Agreed about the boring end game. I love this game, but for me to continue loving it I need pvp. I will post back with artwork as soon as I have it created so you can get started. I will be slow, because I am just beginning to teach myself the skill. It'll be a first for us both.

Quantumtroll
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quantumtroll »

Noken, after a bit of reading and thinking, I've determined that Line Wars is much more difficult programmatically than my envisioned Colonisation Drone mod. So I will pursue my own project at least while I learn the ropes, so to speak.

If you want to collaborate on a mod, how about you draw up some artwork for my mod to start? It will make me more inclined to help you with programming later on ;)

Quantumtroll
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quantumtroll »

Well well well, look here.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”