Self sustaining robots

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
shadowdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Self sustaining robots

Post by shadowdragon »

Hi, just thought I'd ask if any modders could create a robot that doesn't require recharging but is still balanced. Maybe requiring portable fusion reactors?

bammalar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Self sustaining robots

Post by bammalar »

I like this!

Ive been thinking about the idea of long range air supply like an airport version of a roboport. I like the idea of a bot that could be self powered.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Require a portable fusion reactor for bot MK2 construction, bot MK2 has 0 power consumption (and therefore no recharge requirement). It's definitely something worth trying.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

One portable fusion reactor for EACH robot mk2 built seems to me a huge price in resource. I mean really too big imho.
Maybe could it be more balanced with like portable solar panels and a battery. The robots would be able to work day and night, but not require such an insane amount of materials.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bammalar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bammalar »

Koub wrote:One portable fusion reactor for EACH robot mk2 built seems to me a huge price in resource. I mean really too big imho.
Maybe could it be more balanced with like portable solar panels and a battery. The robots would be able to work day and night, but not require such an insane amount of materials.
I agree it would be a huge resource sink however that'd be half the fun! :D

For many with larger bases the local recharging resources can be easily overwhelmed when building large portions of new base. And as a solution for extending a logistics network over large distances (like for instance a 50 coal distance for a train) building a logistics network to span that distance is a challenge not currently addressed. My base is currently building Mk2 logistics bots and construction bots (factorio extended) off my main buss and it would be easy to add a fusion cell producing plant.

cheers!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Still, it's a lot of dead aliens to be able to gather enough artifacts.
I also have a Patreon.

shadowdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shadowdragon »

bobingabout wrote:Still, it's a lot of dead aliens to be able to gather enough artifacts.
Perhaps using a single portable fusion reactor for multiple robots. For example, the recipe would require 3 robots and a fusion reactor for 3 robots with no power cost.

Masterfox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Masterfox »

Actually, isn`t that slightly OP if combined with mods? Bobs MK4 Bots, upgraded like this, would be way to bad. I also think we should orientate along the values the game gives us: 1 reactor: 75 kW, 1 Robot: 1 kw. So like 1 reactor-->50(?)*"self sustaintion piece", because there has to be a certain loss, each to be crafted with one robot to make them infinite, but it would need more for better robots because they require more power(I think so, at least, do they actually consume more power, Bob?).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

My config mod offers an alternate robot structure configuration, where they're less OP. There's also a version for steam power too.

I think I'm going to reverse those, so that the new version is the default, and the old version is the config override.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”