[Request] Recipe Finder

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
manuakasam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Request] Recipe Finder

Post by manuakasam »

Hello Guys,

so recently I've been in a game with my friends and we've been playing around with Bobs + Angels and a bunch of other stuff. As I haven't played with any of these mods yet, one thing, in particular, struck me a lot. And that is the thought: "how the f*** to I produce XY!?"

I have searched for a bit now and I can't seem to find an existing mod that enables you to find the recipes for what you're looking for.

What I'd like to see:
- add a GUI button RecipeFinder
- Open up a simple search form where you enter your desired product, e.g. "gold ore"
- Below the input would then be a list of recipe names. With the given example currently, two items I know of: "Rubyte Crystals Sorting" as well as "Crystallizing to Tungsten & Gold"

Finding this stuff with the Crafting Menu isn't always easy, as it is listing a lot of things that are unrelated. I would prefer a 1:1 name match on this, so "gold ore" shouldn't list anything that only contains "gold" or "ore" - just the full string.

If anyone were to write such a thing, that'd be awesome. Wouldn't need to be pretty, functionality is sufficient.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Request] Recipe Finder

Post by kinnom »

Protip: it's already in vanilla. It's the magnifying glass in the top right.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

manuakasam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by manuakasam »

Sadly this doesn't meet the criteria. With lots of mods you'll still get way too many wrong recipes returned and you're fairly easily overlooking the one you're looking for.
We're simply having a lot of issues with Bobs and Angels combined. An AddOn like I'm requesting here would make things much smoother, at least on our end. =)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

manuakasam wrote:Sadly this doesn't meet the criteria. With lots of mods you'll still get way too many wrong recipes returned and you're fairly easily overlooking the one you're looking for.
We're simply having a lot of issues with Bobs and Angels combined. An AddOn like I'm requesting here would make things much smoother, at least on our end. =)
Sounds like you don't know how to use it correctly.
  • Normal searching matches any of the words you entered against any part of the result
  • Quoted strings match only the full string against the result
When you say "there are too many results" - that's because you have a lot of recipes. It doesn't matter what method of searching you do it's going to give you all the matching results. If you don't like there are so many recipes then remove some mods.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Is the "What's it used for?" mod of any use for your requirements? https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MrDoomah ... t-used-for
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”