superradar/scanner

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

superradar/scanner

Post by safan »

I was thinking about something that i needed in correlation with the "resource overhaul mod". This increases the distances to resources tremendous, so you will need a rail system to advance. However in this case the radars are way to small to actually explore, and the car is also a horror to drive through forests.

I had in mind
- a consumable (one time use)
- researched with a red+green tech
- rather expensive (it should be an investment)
- once planted it will generate a lot of pollution, maybe even trigger an attack of all biters in the scanned area.
- it will take a while (let's say 10 minutes) during wich the probe must be defended
- once completed it wil have discovered a huge area.

If you say its possible i will maybe try this myself, but i honestly have not the time (study books are lying next to my desk)

thanks ...

Dark
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: superradar/scanner

Post by Dark »

I wanted to do an upgraded radar for one of my mods, but unfortunately I don't know how to reveal tiles yet.
One of ideas is to actually place powered dummy radar in a location that must be reveled, but I didn't tested it.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Dark wrote:I wanted to do an upgraded radar for one of my mods, but unfortunately I don't know how to reveal tiles yet.
game.player.force.chart(boundingbox) - (knew what to search for on the wiki thanks to 0.10.4 release notes :))
as to OP's suggestions: to make it consumable you'd just destroy the entity after placement, or considering pollution possibilities destroying it after charting is done. pollution can be done either by giving the entity an emissions_per_tick or giving it an emissions in the energy_source if you're using an entity that requires power, or via game.pollute(position, amount) if you want it done through code. Work duration can be done either through charting only portions of the bounding box every few seconds/minutes or simply waiting the x minutes since placement and charting the entire bounding box (latter is 'easier' but would likely generate significant lag during charting huge areas).

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Just a note: did some research about the chart command in 0.10.1 and it appeared to be buggy, freezing terrain generation in some situations. I haven't done nearly enough with it to file a bug request, but be careful when you try to chart non-generated map areas.

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

okay, thought it over a little more and i come to this:

tech:
probe: needs rocketry 100 reds and 100 greens

items:
probe control center: launches probes
general probe: on consumation discovers 9 times the area of a normal radar (3x3 blocks)
specific probe: on consumation discovers one resource in an area of 5x5 blocks

ill start with creating these and then try the events.

thanks for the pointers.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Why would you need to set off a radar when you have rocket defense?

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

i have created this mod

I just made the existing radars more powerful.

thanks for the support.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”