Request for a new research lab

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
lastpick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Request for a new research lab

Post by lastpick »

I recently submitted a post in the suggestions forum https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 385#p39385 where I proposed a new way of doing research. My Lua knowledge and skill is fairly low so I'm soliciting help and to gauge interest in creating a mod to modify how research works. I'm thinking it might be possible to do this without needing major modification to the game. The general idea would be that we'd have a new resource called K which stands for knowledge and a new lab to produce it. Every manufacturing item would have a current dynamic K value assigned and additionally we'd have a definition for each item that would list their required K values to be unlocked. So as an example a wood chest might have an initial K value of 20 and have a knowledge recipe of 10 K in wood to unlock it. A research lab would provide a constant flow of K which would be applied to whatever was currently placed in the lab for research. So if I were looking to unlock wood chests I'd just place tree logs in the lab which would apply the K towards wood when 10 K were reached the item would be unlocked. I think this could be done using a script to dynamically adjust the tech tree using a manager script that would keep track of the K values of items and unlock or lock them as needed through standard calls. I went into much greater depth in the earlier post as to why I'm suggesting this alternative approach to research, so if this sounds interesting let me know.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”