Blueprint library Steam Sync copier

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Blueprint library Steam Sync copier

Post by zOldBulldog »

The game steam syncs game saves but fails to sync the blueprint library. It is a design flaw that has gone unfixed for a long time.

I know that there is a blueprint library file that can probably be copied and I assume that it does not corrupt the Factorio install when we do it.

But it would be nicer if we could steam sync blueprint libraries in game. So, here is my idea for a mod:

- A special chest: stores only this mod's blueprints. Only one chest of this type can exist.

- Backup button on screen: Saves all of your blueprints and books from library to chest.

- Restore button on screen: Copies all blueprint and books from chest to library.

- Settings checkbox "Clear destination": If off, the copies will overwrite blueprints and books of the same name and add new ones (preserves any at destination that don't exist in the source) . If on, it clears all blueprints and books at destination before doing the copy (it effectively makes an exact copy of the library).

And bingo! The blueprint library can now be included in a game save and thus be Steam a synced.

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Blueprint library Steam Sync copier

Post by Trebor »

Wube will have to be carful doing Steam synching of blueprint libraries. Whenever I use my son-in-law's computer to connect to my Steam account all my saves get placed on his PC and all his saves get uploaded to my Steam account, so when I go back to my computer I've all his games.

Note we have separate Steam accounts and both of us have Factorio installed. It is possible the accounts might not have been combined if I used a different Windows user.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Trebor wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:31 pm
Wube will have to be carful doing Steam synching of blueprint libraries. Whenever I use my son-in-law's computer to connect to my Steam account all my saves get placed on his PC and all his saves get uploaded to my Steam account, so when I go back to my computer I've all his games.

Note we have separate Steam accounts and both of us have Factorio installed. It is possible the accounts might not have been combined if I used a different Windows user.
I posted this in the ideas for mods section because Wube has failed to implement Steam Sync of blueprint libraries for months/years. So I am hoping a modder will pick up the slack. My idea of using a backup chest in a save is intended to compensate for the lack of library Steam Sync.

This approach also addresses your concern, since you must do a manual action to backup or restore to/from the backup chest. The game save is steam sync'ed just like it normally does.

AsherMaximum
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AsherMaximum »

You can already have per game blueprints - doesn't that achieve the same thing?

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”