[Mod Idea] (Slightly) Redone power and rail progression

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
rebcom1807
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Mod Idea] (Slightly) Redone power and rail progression

Post by rebcom1807 »

This is probably a rather strange set of ideas for changes, but, after giving it some thought, I figure it would be an interesting alternative to the current tech progression.

So, early game.
An idea is to actually have the player start out with (a weaker form of) solar power rather than steam, as it provides a bit more of an interesting dynamic, namely that it makes it so that you can't just set up a perfectly robust all-day power system from the start; Doing this would, surprisingly, likely encourage use of coal burner mining drills for a bit longer due to the face that you can't quickly set up a steady power system right from the get-go.
Have a 'railworks' tree start early on, and give the player the ability to have a rather weak solar-powered train - Mostly useless for cargo transport, but can pull one wagon well enough.
Have Fluid Handling come earlier on, with some (somewhat) weaker storage abilities, but, more importantly, the offshore pump and, say, either an electric or a burner pump and perhaps a solar-based boiler alternative

From there, have the player research steam engines, which should also unlock a steam-based locomotive. This would have an internal tank of water as well as a slot or three for coal, and the coal burn rate, while slow at times, would be constant to keep the water in the tank at 100. Probably would have a slow liquid loss rate due to steam leakage as well.

After oil processing (and perhaps advanced oil processing), give the player access to fuels (which can be refined to provide more energy to a point) and both a diesel locomotive, which runs off an internal tank (and perhaps a tank of fuel attached to it) of refined fuels, and a diesel generator/liquid fuel boiler for power generation.
Also, add solid fuel as part of the price for missiles (and missile defense) as a representation of propellants.

Once accumulators are researched as well as the longer electric poles, have an upgraded electric locomotive that is able to run off of electric rails (and over small gaps, thanks to an onboard accumulator) or accumulator carts behind it.

This idea isn't the best fleshed-out, I know, but it's a thought; essentially allowing rail systems to have tiers as well as more variety for powergen, rather than massive solar/accumulator fields or steam engine systems being the only options. That, and perhaps to make burner mining drills and the like a bit more viable for a while due to a lack of steady power input. There probably are ways that this could be improved and expanded (different turret calibers, etc), but I feel I'm probably tossing out enough as-is without too much of an ability (or drive) to make it myself.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”