"player" vs "character" entity changes

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
steinerrr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

"player" vs "character" entity changes

Post by steinerrr »

As per the title - this change has caused mods to fail with incompatibility between versions 0.17.25 and current 0.17.x
" No loader found for "player" "

What's more, 0.17.25 was removed from available downloads, so now I have to manually edit every mod which is using this reference and adapt them to 0.17.x

Why was a change like that done within boundaries of 0.17 beta?
This has never happened before and mods designed for a certain beta version would previously always be compatible with all of the micropatches you release almost daily?

If there are going to be changes to the fundamentals, at least keep all previous version available to be downloaded?
This "update" was forced on me and I had to no chance to get out of it.

Thanks.

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: "player" vs "character" entity changes

Post by eduran »

steinerrr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 am
This has never happened before and mods designed for a certain beta version would previously always be compatible with all of the micropatches you release almost daily?
Yes it has happened before and will happen again. It can be annoying for modders, but you don't have to keep up with the experimental branch. You are absolutely free to stay with the stable 0.16 version and only update your mods once 0.17 is marked stable. Sometimes changes like this are necessary. When would you like them to be introduced, if not during the experimental phase of a release?
steinerrr wrote:
What's more, 0.17.25 was removed from available downloads, so now I have to manually edit every mod which is using this reference and adapt them to 0.17.x
0.17.25 is still available: https://www.factorio.com/download/experimental
steinerrr wrote:
This "update" was forced on me and I had to no chance to get out of it.
How was it forced on you? Just don't download it?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Eh, the change was made in *thiry*-five, so the last version before the change is 0.17.34.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

steinerrr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by steinerrr »

All good, I was able to download and zip up a backup copy of 0.17.31

Return to “Modding discussion”