factorio mods

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
kylefoleyk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

factorio mods

Post by kylefoleyk »

Hello, I need to get in to creating factorio mods. I have modding involvement in skyrim and I function as a front end designer, I additionally know LUA to a degree.

I need to get in to modding and I have a thought for a mod yet before beginning I need to inquire as to whether it is even conceivable to actualize it with the modding API impediments.

This is because of my sorry ass being baffled effectively from the start so I presume that if mid-improvement I understand that I couldn't do it from the earliest starting point I might not have any desire to make any sort of mod for factorio any longer, for my sorry ass my first venture in something needs to prevail somewhat.

I realize this mindset is unadulterated crap yet my psyche and my cognizant suck, so I needed to inquire as to whether what I need to do is even conceivable, on the grounds that I have motivations to speculate so a lot.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: factorio mods

Post by Deadlock989 »

Maybe try asking a specific question.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

[Moderated by Koub] : If you want to fight, please do it in PM.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

[Moderated by Koub] : If you want to fight, please do it in PM.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

The best response I think we can give to OP is that yes, it's worth your time to learn a bit about Factorio modding. Compared to modding other games it is Extremely Easy to get started: You only need basic knowledge of Lua and a simple text editor. There are certainly a few things the developers made impossible on purpose, but there is a huge amount you can do with mods and very few bugs in the API that will frustrate your efforts unexpectedly.

The API documentation isn't perfect but there is a lot there, and a good number of tutorials on the forum to help you get started. The community is good at answering questions if you put in the effort first to get yourself to a sticking point, and then give their advice an honest try when they try to help. There is a large amount of "good practice" code structure and style that helps mods work cleanly with the game and with each other. They aren't always obvious or well documented, so it's best to pay attention when you get advice about things that look unimportant at first.

The best way to learn is to read other mods' code, which you can do simply by unzipping the mod file downloaded by the game, or browsing linked Github repositories. Again, read the tutorials first so you know what files to start reading from. Then try a simple idea of your own, or look for mod requests on the forum to get ideas to experiment with. And of course have fun!

Return to “Modding discussion”