[1.1.76] Crash within minutes of loading save (EnvironmentSoundPlayer::update)

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
brinksectionz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.76] Crash within minutes of loading save (EnvironmentSoundPlayer::update)

Post by brinksectionz »

With the most recent update, I am getting almost non-stop crashing within 2-5 minutes of loading my save and scrolling through any congested areas.
I found that it will not crash as often if I manage to scroll away to the more sparse areas of my factories before saving again.
But if I stick around the central areas where there is alot going on (ie: the uranium enrichment area/rocket silo area), it will crash repeatedly.
The save attached is a great area to duplicate it, as I just scroll around and it crashes. I was able to duplicate it on this auto save over 20 times.
This game has been very stable for me up to this current patch. So I'm not sure what is causing it.
I have lowered all graphics settings to no effect.
Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks!
Attachments
_autosave1.zip
(16.13 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
factorio-current.log
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.76] Crash within minutes of loading save (EnvironmentSoundPlayer::update)

Post by Rseding91 »

Can you post steps I need to do for it to crash? I've had it running for the last 10 minutes watching the enrichment run without issue.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

brinksectionz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.76] Crash within minutes of loading save (EnvironmentSoundPlayer::update)

Post by brinksectionz »

There are two ways I have managed to get it to happen consistently:
1. Load the save and scroll around the enrichment area.
2. Scroll SE to the red/green science pack factories, then scroll back to the rocket silo area.

It seems #2 is more consistent on my end. I can try and record a video if that will help.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I'm not able to reproduce any crash regardless of what I'm doing. Based off your description of "do something for a few minutes" and where it is crashing (something that runs every frame for every player playing the game) that makes me think system instability and or bad hardware.

Have you tried restarting your computer and seeing if it still happens? Are you overclocking your CPU or RAM? Have you tried running a memory test such as https://memtest.org/
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

brinksectionz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by brinksectionz »

I do appreciate you trying and giving me some tips.
I did end up finding the cause. Here's what I did to find it:
I tried a restart, including a full power down restart. I also ran the memtest and it passed. I made sure to turn off XMP and my OC profile on the CPU.
These three things did not change the crashing.
Next, I starting thinking of anything else I did between a few days ago and today when the patch installed.
I installed Dead Space (Remake) last night and played it a bit. I know it has Denuvo, and has been known to mess with other stuff (Has in my case in the past).
So out of curiosity, I uninstalled it.

I have now played the game for 4 hours with no issues.
I am not sure why Denuvo would cause this, as my understanding is that it only runs when I run the game that needs it. (I could be wrong).

Looks like this was an outside problem affecting Factorio.
Thanks!

Return to “1 / 0 magic”