Crash under heavy bot load

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
alethiophile
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Crash under heavy bot load

Post by alethiophile »

Just had the game crash, while using bots to move a lot of items. It's a Space Exploration save with a handful of other mods. Immediately before the crash, the game was intermittently locking up and freezing my whole desktop.

Logfile is attached. The save was apparently too big to upload here; here's a mega link.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(45.6 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Crash under heavy bot load

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This looks like some kind of linux OS bug? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1871959
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

alethiophile
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alethiophile »

That bug may be related; it looks like it's in a related function, anyway.

I don't know if it's the same one. My system should have the fix for that, since I'm on Fedora 37, which was released late 2022. As far as I can tell, that bug was fixed in the upstream sometime in 2021, and the later conversation is all about whether the fix is backported to Ubuntu LTS releases.

Also, my X server was just fine (aside from the freezes leading up to the crash); it was just Factorio that crashed.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I can't say for sure what caused the crash but from the stack trace it appears to be outside of Factorio's code and therefor outside of our control to fix or prevent.

Do you have any reproduction steps?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

alethiophile
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alethiophile »

Unfortunately not. I wasn't doing anything particularly unusual when it crashed, other than maybe 90th-percentile bot activity, and it hasn't crashed similarly since.

It may well be this is just idiosyncratic and thus not amenable of an easy fix.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”