[1.1.88] Crash loading save as host (SteamContext::getSteamID)

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Xynariz
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.88] Crash loading save as host (SteamContext::getSteamID)

Post by Xynariz »

I created a modded save in singleplayer on my computer, with the intent of sending it to my friend to host as a multiplayer game. I am able to load the save as singleplayer on my PC just fine, and so is he. But when he tries to load it as a multiplayer game, he gets a hard crash.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Copy the attached save file into the saves folder (for me, %appdata%/Factorio/saves).
  • From the main menu, click singleplayer, Load Game.
  • Select the save, click "sync mods with save".
  • Reload the game.
  • From the main menu, click multiplayer, Host saved game.
  • Select the save, click "Load".
  • Click "Play."
For me, I can load it as a multiplayer game, following the steps above, with no issues. For him, this causes a Factorio crash to desktop right when he clicks Play. His logfile is attached.
Attachments
2023-FFF-SEK2BZ.zip
(4.71 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
factorio-current.log
(27.06 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.88] Crash loading save as host (SteamContext::getSteamID)

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Some part of the connection between Factorio and Steam is failing for him.

Have him reinstall Steam and then go into the game properties and verify the Factorio files.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xynariz
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.88] Crash loading save as host (SteamContext::getSteamID)

Post by Xynariz »

Eventually, we were able to find a way around the issue by finding a time we could both be online. When I hosted the save as multiplayer, he was able to join, and take a save. Then he was able to host that save without any issues.

Something he told me struck me as odd. When he was playing the save as singleplayer, the minimap showed my name, not his. Yes, as singleplayer, he saw "Xynariz" on his map. Our hypothesis is that this is tied to the crash, and that the reason the Steam ID was failing was that it was expecting to get my steam ID from his Steam account, which obviously didn't happen. Once he joined my save, both of our names showed up on the map as expected, and so the next time he launched as multiplayer, it was trying to get his name once again. (Again, this is only a hypothesis, but it's the best we've got as to the cause).

Return to “1 / 0 magic”