[0.9.1 x64 - 0.9.2 x64] Unkillable Factorio

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
virusek20
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.9.1 x64 - 0.9.2 x64] Unkillable Factorio

Post by virusek20 »

So, I just decided to play factorio again, installed a few mods (AdvancedEquipment, DyTech + DyTech Graphics, Insert this, F-Mod and OWL) and I was using Factorio 0.9.1
Then I noticed one of the mods requires 0.9.2 base. Yes I did make sure that I have experimental builds checked. I tried restarting Factorio multiple times, but it didnt simply download. But that could've been my ISP (UPC Praha). I gave up and redownloaded factorio from website and tried copying it over. Everything went fine except one file. It said Factorio.exe was in use. So I fired up my Task Manger to see if there's not a remaining process or something. There were like 10 intances of Factorio, each using ~10MB of RAM and no CPU usage.

This is where everything went really weird.
Ending the process resulted in: Operation failed. Access denied.
Ending the process using cmd and taskkill /F resulted in same thing as above and Process Explorer didnt work either.
Rightclicking the process and clicking Properties would for some reason showed properties of SYSTEM32 (wtf.)

I'm not sure if the problem from here is related to Factorio, but i'll post it anyway.
So I decided to log out and back in to stop all the proccesses. Everything ~looked~ like it's fixed until I started launching some applications. Steam froze and I couldn't end it, Factorio did it again and the computer was rather unresponsive. Also, steam didnt show the access denied popup, it just didnt do anything when you clicked End Process.
Finally I thought restarting would fix it. I was wrong. It took weirdly long to boot up (~1 minute, but usually it takes less than 15 sec). I fired up Factorio again and in the middle of loading it threw a BSOD at me saying a Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID Driver has failed. (IASTORA.SYS) The weirdest part is I dont even use RAID.
Restarting once again kinda fixed it, didn't BSOD since then but I haven't tried Factorio yet.

PC Specs:
CPU: i7 3930K (overclocked)
MB: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE
RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair
GPU: GeForce GTX 580
HDDs: 2x Western Digital 2TB + OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Intel Rapid Storage Technology only shows the 2TB ones for some reason)

Yes, I did a full AV scan just to be sure my Factorio was not infected and everything was fine (ESET + MalwareBytes).

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.9.1 x64 - 0.9.2 x64] Unkillable Factorio

Post by AlexPhoenix »

try reboot and delete.
Av may lock file.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Are you using ESET Smart Security with built in Firewall?
If so I must tel you that ESET Firewall and Factorio don't like each other verry much:
- firewall doesent properly detect Factorio trying to establish network connection
- due to above reason Firewal doesen't do application integrity check so it doesen't prompts that Factorio.exe has changed and instead it blocks it instantly even if you previosly alowed Factorio full network acces.
- after ESET firewall prevents Factorio from accesing network this sometimes results in Factorio not shutting down properly (system restart is needed). I suspect the cause for this lays somewhere withing network library that Factorio uses.

To see some more indepth explanation of this problem and posible workarounds check my thread below:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =11&t=1862

virusek20
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by virusek20 »

Yep, that was the cause. Thanks!
Disabling firewall for 10 minutes and then re-enabling it works perfectly. Factorio even closes.
But it still doesnt solve the problem with the Intel RAID Drivers, but I think that was just random. My computer was running 3 weeks without a reboot so maybe that was the cause.
It didn't happen since that one time. It would be nice to be able to somehow terminate Factorio.exe (But it's just 10 MB of RAM).

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

virusek20 wrote:It would be nice to be able to somehow terminate Factorio.exe (But it's just 10 MB of RAM).
Yes it would. But this is one of those rare cases when this is not posible. I must admit that I spent more than a weak trying to figure that out by doing lots and lots of tests.
As a programmer I don't give up easily when trying to find causes and solutions for weird things going on with my computer. And becouse of that I have process Explorer running at all times so I can easily monitor what is going on with my computer. It is the first program I stat and last one that gets closed by windows on shutdown :lol:

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlexPhoenix »

It would be nice to be able to somehow terminate Factorio.exe (But it's just 10 MB of RAM).
this is fault of AV, not Factorio.
Factorio itsefl cannot lock terminating.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

AlexPhoenix wrote:this is fault of AV, not Factorio.
Actually it is fault of both AV and Factorio network library. AV FireWall causes Factorio network library to fail to terminate its job sucsessfully therefore an active handle to network card remains so windows doesn't terminate such application.

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlexPhoenix »

SilverWarior wrote:
AlexPhoenix wrote:this is fault of AV, not Factorio.
Actually it is fault of both AV and Factorio network library. AV FireWall causes Factorio network library to fail to terminate its job sucsessfully therefore an active handle to network card remains so windows doesn't terminate such application.
Process cannot be deleted from memory(and process list as well) if anyone have handle to application, not if application have some handles(windows free them at process end), and AV hold it, then Windows cannot delete Process object

When in Task manager you click Terminate on process tab, then Windows terminate just process/Application, but application doesnt know about it.(it's just recieve headshot :D )

so this is only AV fault for incorrect testing, cuz app lock happens with AV which have high privilegues(for locking terminating).

As far as i know nothing globally changed here from Win2K.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

I will do some more testing but when Factorio ends up in this unkillable state Process Explorer shows that it still has some active handles.
Gues I'll have to do some handle checking of other applications toward Factorio especially my AV to see if your claim is true.

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlexPhoenix »

SilverWarior wrote:I will do some more testing but when Factorio ends up in this unkillable state Process Explorer shows that it still has some active handles.
Gues I'll have to do some handle checking of other applications toward Factorio especially my AV to see if your claim is true.
my claim is true cuz as software developer i learn some things about this.

if app have active handle it means nothing, they will be deleted at process deletion(but this must happen) by windows, and many application use this, to dont close all resources manualy at ending.
if you want to know more, read Jeffrey Richter

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

So, I move this to 1/0 magic ok? :)

Return to “1 / 0 magic”