[all patches] Game freezes in the main menu [unplayable]

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Fobfa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[all patches] Game freezes in the main menu [unplayable]

Post by Fobfa »

Hi, I was told by Scott from Support to post here, hope I'm doing this right.

I've played more than 20 hours with problems/bugs/lags/FPS drops, then this error came out completely out of the blue.

After Factorio loads, it freezes in the menu screen. It never actually crashes, but it never leaves the screen as seen below ("not responding" on the top):
screenshot
I've alreayd uninstalled and installed the game again through steam, checked for broken files through steam, manually deleted every factorio folder in %appdata% and steamfolder, updated my drivers and tried using different patches. Nothing worked.

I'm running vanilla on Windows 10 by the way. I don't think my PC specs will help because, as I said, I've played the game for several hours with no performance issue.

Here's my logfrom factorio-current:

Code: Select all

0.001 2016-08-24 20:36:48; Factorio 0.12.35 (Build 18124, win64, steam)
   0.001 Operating system: Windows 10
   0.001 Program arguments: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64\Factorio.exe"
   0.001 Read data path: D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Factorio/data
   0.001 Write data path: C:/Users/Bruno/AppData/Roaming/Factorio
   0.001 Binaries path: D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Factorio/bin
   0.018 Graphics options: [FullScreen: false] [VSync: true] [UIScale: 100%] [MultiSampling: OFF] [Graphics quality: normal] [Video memory usage: high] [Light scale: 20%] [Screen: 255]
   0.047 Available display adapters: 1
   0.047  [0]: \\.\DISPLAY1 - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family {0x05, [0,0], 1366x768, 32bit, 60Hz}
   0.047 Create display on adapter 0. Size 1266x668 at position [40, 32].
   0.434 Initialised Direct3D:[0] NVIDIA GeForce 820M; driver: nvd3dumx.dll 21.21.13.7254
   0.480 Desktop composition is active.
   0.547 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
   0.550 Loading mod base 0.12.35 (data.lua)
   0.676 Checksum for core: 3711505753
   0.676 Checksum for mod base: 2829195351
   1.285 Initial atlas bitmap size is 16384
   1.287 Created atlas bitmap 16384x5509
  11.386 Sprites loaded
  11.653 Loading sounds...
  13.521 Factorio initialised
Can you please help me somehow? I'm in love with this game and I have a really boring trip to do soon, it would be a shame to be unable to play this game just as when I finally will have so much free time. :D

Thanks!

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [all patches] Game freezes in the main menu [unplayable]

Post by posila »

Hi, do you have Windows 10 Anniversary update installed and did the game start freezing after the update was installed?
If you don't know or you are not sure, press Win + R on your keyboard, type "winver" and hit Enter. "About Windows" window will pop-up, if is say Version 1607 then you have the Anniversary update.

Also it would be great if you could create minidump and send it to us. I'll write you instructions how to do it.

Fobfa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fobfa »

posila wrote:Hi, do you have Windows 10 Anniversary update installed and did the game start freezing after the update was installed?
If you don't know or you are not sure, press Win + R on your keyboard, type "winver" and hit Enter. "About Windows" window will pop-up, if is say Version 1607 then you have the Anniversary update.

Also it would be great if you could create minidump and send it to us. I'll write you instructions how to do it.
I'll look into that as soon as I get home. Thank you!

Fobfa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fobfa »

posila wrote:Hi, do you have Windows 10 Anniversary update installed and did the game start freezing after the update was installed?
Just checked:
Version 1511 (Compilation of OS 10586.545)

Fobfa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fobfa »

Should I bother trying any of the solutions presented in this other thread?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9300

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Ok. Thank you. Any idea what might have changed on your computer in between time it worked last time and the time stopped working?

As for solution for graphical problems, it might be worth to try it, but since it worked before, it should work as is. Maybe changing max-texture-size could help.

Could you please download Process Explorer https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... plorer.asp and use it to create minidump of Factorio process when it is frozen?
Just find Factorio process in Process Explorer, right click it, select Create Dump and then Create minidump. Save the .dmp file, zip it and upload it here, please.

Also dumb question, I can see you play on laptop, have you tried to reboot you computer?

Ramlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ramlock »

I'm having the exact same issue (and had another thread started before I could find this one). If there's a solution, I'd really like to know as well :D

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=31513&p=198716

Fobfa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fobfa »

posila wrote:Ok. Thank you. Any idea what might have changed on your computer in between time it worked last time and the time stopped working?
It's a shared notebook so it's hard to say. My wife was the only one using between those times but she has her own windows profile.
posila wrote:Could you please download Process Explorer https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... plorer.asp and use it to create minidump of Factorio process when it is frozen?
Just find Factorio process in Process Explorer, right click it, select Create Dump and then Create minidump. Save the .dmp file, zip it and upload it here, please.
I'll do that right away. Thanks!
posila wrote:Also dumb question, I can see you play on laptop, have you tried to reboot you computer?
Not a dumb question at all haha
But yeah, I did reboot it, several times! :(

I will work on that minidump.

Fobfa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fobfa »

Okay, that is weird.

I was creating the minidump file and Factorio decided to work... :?

I'm confused, I spent the whole day yesterday trying to make it work. Now I'm afraid it will bug out of the blue again.

I did nothing between yesterday and today... So confused.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Fobfa wrote:Okay, that is weird.

I was creating the minidump file and Factorio decided to work... :?

I'm confused, I spent the whole day yesterday trying to make it work. Now I'm afraid it will bug out of the blue again.

I did nothing between yesterday and today... So confused.
Before (not while) making the minidump, was Factorio highlighted in gray in Process Explorer?

Ramlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ramlock »

Mine too was fixed without any explanation. Though I'm glad it's working now, it's sad we'll not likely ever have any clue as to what was causing it or how to fix/prevent it.

In any case, game on! :D

Return to “1 / 0 magic”