Crashes when trying to load saved or new game

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
yanamal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Crashes when trying to load saved or new game

Post by yanamal »

Factorio crashes whenever I try to start a game. Everything works fine up to the point where the actual game loads, I see about a second of the game, then it crashes
This started suddenly: I played fora while, then I stopped for a few hours, then tried playing again and it won't work.

the debugger(MSVS 2010) shows this:
Unhandled exception at 0x016a37f9 in Factorio.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000c.

This is on windows 7.

Things I've tried:
uninstalling/installing the game
deleting the player-data.json file
deleting the entire appdata folder and then unistalling/reinstalling
downloading the installer again for a fresh install

Things I haven't tried yet:
actually deleting the Factorio game folder before reinstall (presumably it's empty after uninstall)
not logging in after a reinstall

Shortly before this started, I did edit the player-data.json file to be able to skip that damned 3rd level. But then I played the 4th level fora while with no problems, I think even exiting and restarting the game at some point. I did notice that after I played, the file changed again (despite me not unlocking anything), I think the updater_token changed.

yanamal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Crashes when trying to load saved or new game

Post by yanamal »

Ah. what I hadn't tried was restarting my computer. That, of all things, helped the uncaught null pointer exception (ahem).

Return to “1 / 0 magic”