Friday Facts #373 - Factorio: Space Age

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #373 - Factorio: Space Age

Post by Pi-C »

Dylan J. McGrann wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:20 pm
QELO wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:03 am
Hi, this is the simple question but many many users want to know, maybe.
Official mods (Space Age, Quality, Elevated Rails) can play on Nintendo Switch ?????
I would like to know this as well. How will all this content work on Nintendo Switch which does not support mods?
Did you know that you are technically using a mod when you're playing vanilla? It's called "base", and it behaves like all the other mods that are out on the mod portal -- except that it's guaranteed to be the first mod that's loaded (if it is loaded at all, other mods can add a conflict against the base mod). Unless there are restrictions put on by what the hardware can deal with, I imagine that the game will make an exemption for the official mods (after all, these are mods taken care of by the developers, not by some random modders who may or may not know what they are doing).
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

QELO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by QELO »

Pi-C wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:09 am
Dylan J. McGrann wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:20 pm
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:03 am
Hi, this is the simple question but many many users want to know, maybe.
Official mods (Space Age, Quality, Elevated Rails) can play on Nintendo Switch ?????
I would like to know this as well. How will all this content work on Nintendo Switch which does not support mods?
Did you know that you are technically using a mod when you're playing vanilla? It's called "base", and it behaves like all the other mods that are out on the mod portal -- except that it's guaranteed to be the first mod that's loaded (if it is loaded at all, other mods can add a conflict against the base mod). Unless there are restrictions put on by what the hardware can deal with, I imagine that the game will make an exemption for the official mods (after all, these are mods taken care of by the developers, not by some random modders who may or may not know what they are doing).
These are official mods, so I hope we can play them on Nintendo Switch as well. Pleeeeeease!!!!!

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:32 pm
These are official mods, so I hope we can play them on Nintendo Switch as well. Pleeeeeease!!!!!
Don't see how, the expansion will increase memory usage and the switch is already struggling to run the game as is.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Loewchen wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:25 pm
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:32 pm
Don't see how, the expansion will increase memory usage and the switch is already struggling to run the game as is.
The expansion will have artificial biter/structure limits in place on nauvis, similar to pollution, where going over a certain amount of entities makes you auto-loose :^)
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Haisom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Haisom »

Wait, you mean cliff explosive technology comes after I launch a rocket? This doesn't make much logical sense. I like to play with default settings, but I always go for cliff explosives first. This would likely force me to play with cliffs off, which I don't want to do. It would almost be a deal breaker for me to drop $$ on an expansion.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Haisom wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:45 am
Wait, you mean cliff explosive technology comes after I launch a rocket? This doesn't make much logical sense. I like to play with default settings, but I always go for cliff explosives first. This would likely force me to play with cliffs off, which I don't want to do. It would almost be a deal breaker for me to drop $$ on an expansion.
If you step back and try to see the big picture, the lack of cliff explosives before rockets might not be the issue in 2.0 it would be in 1.1.

We've already seen that rockets will be far less expensive to build that today. If I understand things correctly, rockets will be pushed far earlier in the tech tree, so waiting for cliff explosives shouldn't be waiting for ultra endgame. Moreover, with trains being able to be elevated, one of the needs to destroy cliffs will vanish. Belts can already cross cliffs, so they would remain useful for clearing out space to build the factory, but far less necessary early game.

Let's wait and see what comes next.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Haisom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Haisom »

Koub wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:00 am
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:45 am
If you step back and try to see the big picture, the lack of cliff explosives before rockets might not be the issue in 2.0 it would be in 1.1.

We've already seen that rockets will be far less expensive to build that today. If I understand things correctly, rockets will be pushed far earlier in the tech tree, so waiting for cliff explosives shouldn't be waiting for ultra endgame. Moreover, with trains being able to be elevated, one of the needs to destroy cliffs will vanish. Belts can already cross cliffs, so they would remain useful for clearing out space to build the factory, but far less necessary early game.

Let's wait and see what comes next.
I'll be following for sure, but it just seems backward that I have the technology to launch a rocket but can't make a cliff explosive. I really like having the cliff explosives to shape the land the way I see fit. I realize we can go over the cliffs, but I don't really want to. I guess I can just play with them off, but then I hate having something useless (cliff explosives) later in the game. I like using what is available, oh well.

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by computeraddict »

Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:03 pm
I'll be following for sure, but it just seems backward that I have the technology to launch a rocket but can't make a cliff explosive. I really like having the cliff explosives to shape the land the way I see fit. I realize we can go over the cliffs, but I don't really want to. I guess I can just play with them off, but then I hate having something useless (cliff explosives) later in the game. I like using what is available, oh well.
You could also grab a mod to move them earlier in the tech tree, too

Return to β€œNews”