Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Post by Qon »

The goal is to be able to use remote view for everything you can do locally. The motivation is also to remove as many inconsistencies as possible between the local and remote building, so your muscle memory works almost the same everywhere.
:D :mrgreen: 8-)
I love this so much, this is what I wanted for so long. So many mods for this purpose. My playstyle revolving around this. A big reason why I love Factorio. Everything is getting better!

Now to finish reading the FFF

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Really looks good all around.

I would assume the griefing potential of remote view is or has been, in part, remedied by the addition of a "remote interact" permission. It seems like the simplest thing you could do to help prevent it.

Makka77
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Makka77 »

"The behemoth biter in the room..." really made me chuckle :lol:

Abarel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Abarel »

I love to work in remote. :-D
And I am pleased with all the other teasers
I like the new flashing alert for ore depleted under miners, but what's that white rectangle in map view in southwest part, following the rails? I wonder about the strange white T in the blueprint, as well as the 2 new buttons on both sides from the Space map button. Still trying to figure out how we interact with all these values about Nauvis, but I smiled when noticed the worms.

Feather
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Feather »

I baited myself into thinking that today's FFF is going to be about remote circuit networks :ugeek:
  1. What happens when you have a blueprint with an entity on landfill? Do you have to press the same blueprint twice first to place the landfill then to place the entities?
  2. Can you enable auto placement of landfill under entities in the blueprint options, without previously having landfill in the blueprint?
  3. Can landfill occupy the space as other tiles, like stone bricks, in the blueprint?

CorBlimey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CorBlimey »

How does choosing quality work with blueprints / building from remote view? I didnt notice a quality selector/drop-down or similar when seeing the ghost inventory

p.s. please add a bookmark capability for locations - it will be super helpful to juimp around between common locations :)

Tooster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tooster »

Great update, Just wanted to point out that color blindness is a common issue. 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women are color blind. It would be nice to see some entity sprite variations that don't rely solely on color. Specifically for chests, but would also be nice for assemblers, belts, splitters and similar.
Look mom, I made a mod ^^ Barrel Stages

Thyrisis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Thyrisis »

Thanks very much for the update and I'm looking forward to all these changes. My one comment is in the context of the question of colour tinting ghosts - did you consider photographic negative colouring to indicate this rather than a single tint so as to maintain the existing colour differentiation?

OldFart
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by OldFart »

Please, add the ability to disable shimmering and change the saturation of the tint.
My eyes hurt just from looking at the picture of blue ghosts, and the shimmering demo picture looks like blurry blobs to me

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

So many great changes... And I thought it would be a minor FFF...

FireByTrial
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FireByTrial »

OldFart wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:30 pm
Please, add the ability to disable shimmering and change the saturation of the tint.
My eyes hurt just from looking at the picture of blue ghosts, and the shimmering demo picture looks like blurry blobs to me
Same for me! / Upvote

PLEASE allow this to be configurable, the vibrant blue absolutely murders my eyes :shock: .
allowing it to be configurate would help with people who play in the evenings and would perhaps prefer a red/grey/toned down ghost, AND would potentiall help with addressing colorblindness issues.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Really love everything about this one. My one quip would be why not leave belt/splitter rotation to the robots like everything else? You've created a new inconsistency in your attempts to eliminate inconsistencies! :lol:

But hey, devs/moderators, a suggestion for these threads going forward as people ask questions and someone responds: edit the bot post to include these Q&As (in a spoiler), even as a paraphrasing. This way as you answer some of these questions 4, 5, 10 pages in, you're not then still having people ask the same questions over again because they don't read every page.

(Edit: Oh, and maybe any Q&A that comes up in Discord that isn't here, it'd be good to post them here, too, and vice versa. I believe there were a couple of questions that came up during the elevated rails discussion that went unanswered here, but were answered in Discord. Someone was kind enough to cross post for those of us that don't use Discord.)

--------------------------------

svalorzen wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:40 am
I wonder if the tint for "accepted job" ghosts could be different instead of simply lighter; I have to admit that unless the same patch had both "accepted" and "waiting" ghosts I'm not sure I'd be able to tell which one was which.
I do have to agree with this, though. Either a different color to the tint, or making the brightness offset kind of extreme.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Great !! 0 problem only questions and observations in random order
Once we allowed the remote entity configuration, a new annoying problem popped up. Locally, you might be used to just building an assembling machine and configuring it right away. But with remote building, you had to place the ghost, wait until the robots built it, and then finally you're able to configure it.
And when you change the receipe or a working assembly remotely, where do the ingredients already loaded in the assembly for the previous receipe goes ? :D
It used to create some magic when there was some item on the floor and you could remotely build a gosth belt to teleport in player inventory.
I expect them to spill on the floor and be marked for deconstruction.

Abarel wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:23 pm
but what's that white rectangle in map view in southwest part, following the rails? I wonder about the strange white T in the blueprint
Are you talking about the train ramps/briges ? that's all i can see :D

Nauvis seem to be home of 4 differently colored worm which i suppose means something for combat :)

Nauvis has a magnetic field and gravity !

Nauvis not connected to all the new planets.

New planets seem to have some name in some alien langage mades of square glyphs of variying nuances of grey :
Proof
However throughout our testing it became increasingly obvious that distinguishing the ghosts as a whole from real entities was by far the more important feature. You tend to care more whether it is a ghost or not, rather than what type of ghost it is. And we do have a few tricks up our sleeve to preserve the colors.
YES ! 100%, it's difficult currently to spot some missing yellow inserter in a blueprint when their ghost are present and all are somewhat hidden by powerpoles, they show purple in mapview that's more visible than in game before the blue ghost :).

I like the blue, for ghost, and i like the animation, i think for the case of missing inserter it would catch player attention that the missing pieces are also the only mobile part of the almost-build blueprint.

As always it was very interesting to read about the technical details !

PS : magnificent cloverleaf !

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Best quality of life change ever (especially ghosting entities and landfill)! And another mod is now in Vanilla.
Much looking foreward for the clearer depiction of ghosts.

Bazus1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bazus1 »

Galapagon wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:36 am
Perhaps a way to view what another player is looking at could be helpful so that we can still keep tabs on new players joining multiplayer maps?
This could have a more broad impact of being able to work with your friends, or understand what they're looking at if they're struggling with something as a new player.
If you're like me, you might even be willing to leave your camera on someone else just to keep the game active while working in a different window.

The alternative suggestion would be new permissions to adjust what new players can do with remote view. This might be told to have anyway, but would be frustrating for the vast majority of players who only want to have fun.
This would also unfortunately leave griefers in "stealth mode" causing damage undetected.
I, too play a lot of multiplayer factorio (Monthly Map ftw!!), and think that additional tools for culpability would be useful - perhaps the option to display a notification to chat that "PlayerX initiated deconstruciton at 73,211"

serhatozgel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by serhatozgel »

Ghosts are looking much better now! I would not consider remotely building a piece of factory with ghosts but I can see I'll do it all the time now.

One suggestion: With the ghost looking so slick now, the deconstruction mark "X" now feels outdated. Could entities marked for deconstruction be tinted too, perhaps with a different style?

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

serhatozgel wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:37 pm
Ghosts are looking much better now! I would not consider remotely building a piece of factory with ghosts but I can see I'll do it all the time now.

One suggestion: With the ghost looking so slick now, the deconstruction mark "X" now feels outdated. Could entities marked for deconstruction be tinted too, perhaps with a different style?
Perhaps opaque (same transparency level as normal) with a red tint?

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

serhatozgel wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:37 pm
Getting rid of the X would make it even harder for anyone with visual issues. I would like to see the opposite: left plain if there are no robots/materials, a question mark if there are robots and materials but not yet assigned, and a check mark when a robot is assigned to this task.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:23 pm
And another mod is now in Vanilla.
And another: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Blue-Ghosts
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Seeing the more fleshed out map screenshots in combination with the different planets and all the fine tuning, it seems we all did so far play a demo version of Factorio with half of the features cut and level 1 only, and the real release with full scope and full factories and all levels is the upcoming 2.0.
This doesn't look just like an addition or expansion. It looks as if the game grew in scope from rather simple to rather versatile.

What might be the goal to "win the game" now? The current goal of launching a rocket always seemed arbitrary, since it is just the end of the research tree. I wonder if we get a real goal now, or none at all but instead some kind of milestones (not achievements), rating how big or versatile the factories grew so far.

I guess it will get me another 2000+ hours playtime.

It's difficult to comment the changes in this fff - they all address usability issues we all know, and it seems there have been good solutions found. I played a major part of my Factorio time in map editor mode to develop blueprints, but found it tedious to rollout these blueprints to a real map. So often I resorted to fine tune and even more fine tune the blueprints instead of just using them, because fine tuning was more comfortable than using them. With the remote view changes, much of this seems to be addressed, and I'm looking forward to play a real map more often and less with cheating in the map editor.

Return to “News”