Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Xarfo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #380 - Remote view

Post by Xarfo »

Will it be available to just set the Remote views from other planets to 1 button each, just give free keybinding.
All problems solved with unnecessary clicking in different tabs and windows.

Simply the same function like vanilla map, just different hotkeys.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

dirtyharis83 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:17 am
So far 5 reworks of stuff and 1 content addition (quality).
I'll just point out the obvious Oxygen not included "expansion" failure did the same thing.

The expansion should be CONTENT, not a different way to get what we already have in the base game.
Quality looks AMAZING, it will add countless hours to get epics, legendary etc.

Why can't we have new buildings, new weapons, new enemies, new materials to mine, new technologies, new recipes...?
To add to what mmmPi said, they still have another 4ish dozen FFFs to go before release. That's a lot of time from now to release to cover more things.

Just stop being so impatient. :roll:
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Niyu.Cuatro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Niyu.Cuatro »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:42 pm
dirtyharis83 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:17 am
So far 5 reworks of stuff and 1 content addition (quality).
I'll just point out the obvious Oxygen not included "expansion" failure did the same thing.

The expansion should be CONTENT, not a different way to get what we already have in the base game.
Quality looks AMAZING, it will add countless hours to get epics, legendary etc.

Why can't we have new buildings, new weapons, new enemies, new materials to mine, new technologies, new recipes...?
To add to what mmmPi said, they still have another 4ish dozen FFFs to go before release. That's a lot of time from now to release to cover more things.

Just stop being so impatient. :roll:
And i would add too that i don't want them to reveal the whole expànsion in FFF. Let us get some surprises when we actually sit down to play it.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Niyu.Cuatro wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:57 pm
And i would add too that i don't want them to reveal the whole expànsion in FFF. Let us get some surprises when we actually sit down to play it.
You just need to stop reading the FFFs now and your're guaranteed to be surprised at release.

SheepStorm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SheepStorm »

Henry Loenwind wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:43 am

PSA: If the blue in the FFF pictures looks "vibrant" or "bright" to you, take your monitor out of factory settings. Those are designed so the monitor visually shouts very loudly to get your attention in a brightly lit shop.

On a properly calibrated monitor (mine are calibrated with hardware probes), the blue is a soft tint of light aqua with green bars slowly running through it, a smidgen darker than the old "grey-wash" and a bit lighter (in the washed-out sense) than the sea.
I reckon most people who suffer from photosensitivity issues already configured their monitor to reduce eyestrain as much as possible, as is the case for me, yet I still find that blue tint to be a bit intense. As another user pointed out, I'd have to change the look of the entire game despite the fact that I really don't need to do so for factorio currently. Also, it's not just the tint, but also the distortion effect that's causing issues, especially when zoomed out, that last gif is pretty hard on the eyes for me.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

I wonder. Can I play Factorio on multiple monitors? (I assume it's possible via multiplayer game, but it could be nice to have one PRO-like environment supporting lots of data on multiple screens...

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Nice! Thanks for this. And I do appreciate the work on the core game instead of just pumping out content and not polishing the core game.

I mostly like the ability to put blueprints on landfill ghosts.

stergil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stergil »

I've struggled so hard with ghosts over the years that I can't even explain how excited I am about these new changes. I can do with or without the shimmer effect if that's what some people are bothered by, but please.. do not change course on the tint and making ghosting more clear (like you plainly have demonstrated in this FFF).

Very excited about the remote view functionality extension as well!

Vulkandrache
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vulkandrache »

stergil wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:30 pm
I've struggled so hard with ghosts over the years that I can't even explain how excited I am about these new changes. I can do with or without the shimmer effect if that's what some people are bothered by, but please.. do not change course on the tint and making ghosting more clear (like you plainly have demonstrated in this FFF).
What exactly do you mean you "struggled"?
The ghosts right now blend in as they should. They could be on screen for minutes or maybe even hours
if you have large builds or blueprints planned out in advance.
The new ghosts are very blue, very bright and way too visible. They stand out more than the actual buildings.
Locane wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:57 am
The tint indicator for whether a blueprint entity will be filled or not is RIGHT on, god, thank you!
Im confused. This functionaly is completely useless.
Why are getting exited about that?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Vulkandrache wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:55 pm
stergil wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:30 pm
What exactly do you mean you "struggled"?
The ghosts right now blend in as they should. They could be on screen for minutes or maybe even hours
Currently, ghosts often lack readability, at least for me. I regularly struggle when I have an early game ghost I have to manually build because construction bots are somewhere deep into the tech tree, I almost never manage to build the right stuff at first try. Zooming all the way in, squinting the eyes, but still misplace some items. The new tint is very welcome for me too.
Vulkandrache wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:55 pm
Locane wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:57 am
The tint indicator for whether a blueprint entity will be filled or not is RIGHT on, god, thank you!
Im confused. This functionaly is completely useless.
By useless, you meant for you I guess ? That's fine. But be reassured, you're not the only Factorio player out there, and there are others, like myself, for whom this will be useful : the devs haven't invested their precious time for nothing :mrgreen:.

The only thing I am not straight out thrilled is the "wobbly" part in the new blueprints. I'll have to test it to see whether I like it or not.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ericwu91
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ericwu91 »

While reading this FFF in the first time, and coming across the new ghost entities, I must confess I thought them a little _overly_ excessive.

Then I saw the comparison with the "old" (current?) version, and it blew my mind. Love them, can't wait to see them in action. ... A little too flicky, though? Still would 100% use it.

Vulkandrache
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vulkandrache »

Koub wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:15 pm
By useless, you meant for you I guess ? That's fine. But be reassured, you're not the only Factorio player out there, and there are others, like myself, for whom this will be useful : the devs haven't invested their precious time for nothing :mrgreen:.
Of course for me.
But i would like to know what exactly im going to do with the info that a building is in the process of being delivered.
Koub wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:15 pm
Currently, ghosts often lack readability, at least for me. I regularly struggle when I have an early game ghost I have to manually build because construction bots are somewhere deep into the tech tree, I almost never manage to build the right stuff at first try. Zooming all the way in, squinting the eyes, but still misplace some items. The new tint is very welcome for me too.
You mouseover the ghost and press your button to copy an entity.
If you want to be extreme everything could be a questionblock and it still wouldnt matter.
Because you dont even need to see what it is.

Yes, better visibility is good. But the ghosts should fade into the background.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Vulkandrache wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:37 pm
But i would like to know what exactly im going to do with the info that a building is in the process of being delivered.
Alone not much, but it also highlight what isn't in the process of being delivered which is more helpful imo. a checkmark would also help identifying this at a glance.

Vulkandrache
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vulkandrache »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:43 pm
Alone not much, but it also highlight what isn't in the process of being delivered which is more helpful imo. a checkmark would also help identifying this at a glance.
Same question:
What am i using that info for? Im a big fan of throwing information at the player.
But it needs to be useful in a way that influences decision making.
Are there really people out there that manualy place a few things by hand in a blueprint of 1000+ items
to "help the bots"? Because thats the only use i see for this.

If im placing a large blueprint with bots and a mall capable of delivering
then im going to do one of two things:
I watch the bots work or i go afk and continue watching video.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Vulkandrache wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:54 pm
Same question:
What am i using that info for? Im a big fan of throwing information at the player.
Are there really people out there that manualy place a few things by hand in a blueprint of 1000+ items

If im placing a large blueprint with bots and a mall capable of delivering
then im going to do one of two things:
I watch the bots work or i go afk and continue watching video.
Knowing what is not being delivered is useful because otherwise when you come back from your afk the blueprint may not be finished because you forgot to automate one item , or one provider chest was not properly covered by roboport.

I'm not using all the time the same mall blueprint and i'm playing modded games, as such it is often that i wonder wether something is available or not for my robots to build with.

From the last video of the FFF you know there is enough medium pole and solar pannel and accumulator and cliffs explosives and radar , and you are working in a place connected to a logistic network with enough free construction robots that can deliver the needed item. ( save a lot of time checking different things at a glance).

If you play on multiplayer too, this is useful info, because someone else may have automated the solar pannel and accumulator in one place, and another person the electric pole in another, and it's a third player who place the blueprint and you don't have to look everywhere on the map to know if the alert for missing item are for you or for another thing when you can see your just pasted blueprint slightly changing color. ( and you could at this moment take the decision to fix one thing that you realize is not "on its ways" for lack of ressource, or mistake, or destruction that occured.

It also help knowing if one thing or another isn't being built because there is no material or if it is because it's a out of battery robot that takes forever to come.

Dominiquini
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dominiquini »

I loved the new ideas, but I think rotating entities in remote view should be done by robots!

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by computeraddict »

Vulkandrache wrote:
If you place a blueprint and it doesn't change tint you know that it's not being built without having to wait for the bots to deliver everything else or interrogate the little out-of-stock blinker on the bottom of the HUD.
Vulkandrache wrote:
Speed runners in all categories regularly place belts and/or poles to make sure that things bots are placing can start working immediately.

SchniSchnaSchnuck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SchniSchnaSchnuck »

-scv- wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:46 pm
777.png
changes in the duration of day and night and the power of panels for planets
Im curious why there is a differentiation between "solar power in atmosphere" and the "solar power in space", anyone knows?

Svip
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Svip »

SchniSchnaSchnuck wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:50 am
-scv- wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:46 pm
777.png
changes in the duration of day and night and the power of panels for planets
Im curious why there is a differentiation between "solar power in atmosphere" and the "solar power in space", anyone knows?
Because you can build space platforms around each planet, and there your solar panels will behave differently.

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SupplyDepoo »

Something not mentioned yet is picking up items (normally by pressing "F" while standing near items on the ground or on a belt).

Will that be possible to do remotely? To fix situations where items have accidentally entered the wrong belt, for example, because underground was placed sideways in front of a splitter?

I could see items being marked for pickup, but I wonder if this is feasible on transport belts.

Return to “News”