Friday Facts #406 - Space Age Music

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Agamemnon
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #406 - Space Age Music

Post by Agamemnon »

It is rain. Definitely rain. It never stops pouring on that planet, is it? Everything is drippy and rivers erode the land at alarming rates... sounds exiting.

Is was kinda expecting the Fulgoria track to come with a touch of mystery, maybe even melancholy with all those alien ruins littered on the landscape. From the music I don't feel we will get much insight into who they were and just mine their landfill for resources... But that is fine, too.

Vulcanus is absolutely gorgeous to listen to. I guess I'll try making my main mall there just so I can listen to it most.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

GregoriusT wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:38 am
Also that is one big frikkin Asteroid. How are you supposed to defend against those, the ton of Gun Turrets was clearly not enough!
Probably have to upgrade the damage output or more likely... artillery. Maybe artillery isn't unlocked on that save yet to blast that one to pieces before it enters the screen. At least it was also written that Artillery will unlock much later in Space Age than without.

Seems like we get rocket launcher turrets too, but even those didn't do much to that huge asteroid. ^^

Otherwise I wouldn't wonder if we have to live with parts of the platform getting wrecked & having to be rebuilt on-the-fly every now and then. At least I imagine it being the case when we go to the most dangerous planet(s) they haven't shown yet. At least they wrote in a FF long ago that it will be difficult to get there.
Last edited by MeduSalem on Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

Akronymus wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:04 am
The first few seconds of the last music file gives me heavy simcity 4 vibes, specifically some rush hour expansion tracks. I REALLY like it.

I think either "gridlock" or "bumper to bumper"
Exactly the Same feelings I have. But...
Maybe after "lifeless" planets we start to build in very vibrant and powering environment? For example - mechanic power from hamster-like creatures wheels ;) (Timberborn noises).

Fulgora, I think have most annoying composition - is very good, not bad, just.. after hour of noisy thunders, machines and electronic samples I need to turn off that.

To devs: Try to test all music playing in background in random situations for example ironing, knotting, repair some devices, training on treadmill.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Gorgeous!
I adore the original music, but I heard it so much, that I needed to turn it off sometimes. So, I'm very excited for the new music.
I like space, vulcanus and the new planet very much. The fulgora music is a bit stressful, IMO
Agamemnon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:54 am
Is was kinda expecting the Fulgoria track to come with a touch of mystery, maybe even melancholy with all those alien ruins littered on the landscape. From the music I don't feel we will get much insight into who they were and just mine their landfill for resources... But that is fine, too.

Vulcanus is absolutely gorgeous to listen to. I guess I'll try making my main mall there just so I can listen to it most.
^This
Last edited by jodokus31 on Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GluAp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by GluAp »

Well, dear Devs, how do you do it? Again and again.

Since you restarted the weekly FFFs, my expectations have been upheld or even growing.
I never did know what I was expecting, but still I was expecting something. And I was never disappointed. How is this even possible?

But today I thought to myself, that this one would be boring and a let down. Because - to be honest - it has been a long time, since I last listened to the factorio music. For the last years I had it turned off. Because I've listened to it many times and later I developed a (bad) habit of watching videos or listening to podcasts when playing factorio.

When I started reading FFF #406 I instantly was surprised, that you went in deep with real orchestra music. Because it is a lot of work and - you know - people may just turn it off, like I did.
But holy cow - I hope people will be listening to this, because it is amazing. I played on my "big" speakers and it is very enjoyable. The soundstage for the space track is very immersive. I now want to buy wireless mouse/keyboard so I can play factorio on my tv with the "big" speakers.

I'm sure there will come some point, probably after finishing the game many times over, when I'll turn off the music again. But until this point, I will gladly enjoy the quality atmosphere this fine soundtrack is going to deliver.

This brings me to my only suggestion: Maybe, when the DLC is launched for the first time, you should inform players, that the music is turned off (if this is the case) or set very low. It really would be a great waste, if people started a new game and forgot to change this setting from good old factorio and won't listen to this work of art.

Thank you very much for this investment. Although - well done, Petr.

ps:
The music for the undisclosed planets makes me think of a lot of movement in the first half and maybe a lot of water in the second?
Does the Vulcanus track remind you of the Lord of the Rings movies OST? A little bit of Mordor maybe?

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

MeduSalem wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:58 am
GregoriusT wrote:
Also that is one big frikkin Asteroid. How are you supposed to defend against those, the ton of Gun Turrets was clearly not enough!
Probably have to upgrade the damage output or more likely... artillery. Maybe artillery isn't unlocked on that save yet to blast that one to pieces before it enters the screen. At least it was also written that Artillery will unlock much later in Space Age than without.

Seems like we get rocket launcher turrets too, but even those didn't do much to that huge asteroid. ^^

Otherwise I wouldn't wonder if we have to live with parts of the platform getting wrecked & having to be rebuilt on-the-fly every now and then. At least I imagine it being the case when we go to the most dangerous planet(s) they haven't shown yet. At least they wrote in a FF long ago that it will be difficult to get there.
Artillery clearly is unlocked: On one of the planets you can clearly see a rail artillery car moving with a train.

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

The amount of roboports on Fulgora is TERRIFYING. Makes me think we need an upgraded roboport because that was just silly.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

GregoriusT wrote:
MeduSalem wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:58 am

In FFF 382, they mentioned "heavier weapons" for space platforms.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Justderpingalong wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:24 pm
Artillery clearly is unlocked: On one of the planets you can clearly see a rail artillery car moving with a train.
Doesn't necessarily suggest that it is the same savegame because I am sure they have dozens of savegames in various states of a "typical" playthrough.

At least I would not see another reason why not to put at least a few artillery turrets on there if you have them available, just to be able to crack those huge asteroids.

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:28 pm
In FFF 382, they mentioned "heavier weapons" for space platforms.
Even heavier than Artillery? ^^

What do they want us to fight? Cthulhu? ^^

FuzzyOne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FuzzyOne »

I simply cannot believe the effort being put into the music, it is just astounding. Thank you for pouring in so much passion.

mumu1000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mumu1000 »

I 100% agree this is rain music, maybe storms are involved ?

Super duper hyped for the expansion !

kerrin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kerrin »

That final music reminded me of the Factorio trailer, with all the factory working together. It also is similar to other music for things showing robots and factories.
Well, what can we deduce from that? Factorio is a big factory after all!
I'm guessing that one of the 2 remaining planets already has sections of pre-built factories on, that are more potent than anything we can build ourselves (or required to get a new science) , and we integrate these into our factories.

Although, I could also see it being rain, and the planet has raising and lowering water levels.

Splitframe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Splitframe »

Listening to the last part a bit more I think it's going into a water direction.
But the very first impression I had was life and movement, and I was kind of hyped for a planet with friendly foreign life.

herrkocur
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by herrkocur »

I love the fact that Wube is such a dedicated company and the OG Factorio gave it enough leeway to pursue whatever they consider appropriate, such an interesting "closure" to have a fully virtual experience all about scale and what not, pollution, machinery etc and then there's that humanity aspect with real life instruments.
Even tho I don't instantly all of what I've heard I think it will be something that will "fit" with enough hours too, as music enhances Factory experience but it works both ways.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Thank you Albert and Petr and the music team from Soundsgate - this is amazing and totally Factorio!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Ozymandias
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ozymandias »

The last sound track initially makes me think of movement, height, a planet with flying islands like Zelda TOTK.

Then secondly to a calm planet full of life which is suddenly hit by a storm, a big threat which would undermine the peaceful life of the past.
Finally a planet with mostly water and storms and floods at certain times.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

All I want is the music volume slider to be reasonably tuned. Every game I have to lower music down to < 10%. :)

vark111
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vark111 »

That final music track. Metronomic and repetitive. It evokes images of... crystals. Other folks talk rain, and I can see that, too, but I'm throwing crystals into the hat as my guess.

Oh, also, I fully expect trupen to build a wall of missile turrets, arm them with nukes, and christen it "The Wall of Liberty"

mrtumnus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mrtumnus »

Criperum wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:24 am
The first undiscovered planet theme sounds like some jumping frogs. May be a swamp with new jumping biters.
The second sounds aerial. My guess is something like flying islands from Avatar.
Am I missing something? I only see one "undisclosed" planet theme song. Where is the 2nd one?

Spaceman_05
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Spaceman_05 »

The space platform theme reminds me a lot of the music from Offworld Trading Company, with the very clear pulsing and the slow unstoppable escalation.
- Spaceman_05

Return to “News”