Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Post by FactorioBot »

Linver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Post by Linver »

Hi all. The new randomly rotated menu backgrounds, at modding level, will change the behaviour of main_menu_background_image_location field? Or will implement new fields like "main_menu_background_image_locations"?

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Post by V453000 »

There are now main_menu_simulations. If there is any simulation defined, the image is not used.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Linver wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:46 am
Hi all. The new randomly rotated menu backgrounds, at modding level, will change the behaviour of main_menu_background_image_location field? Or will implement new fields like "main_menu_background_image_locations"?
Oh yes, mods, you will be able to defines all your own simulations if you want!

And if not, if there are no simulations (defined in utility constants), the old system of a single main menu background will be used

Linver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Linver »

Thanks for the answers. Any idea about when will be out?

STSchiff
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by STSchiff »

Wow, the ghost belt and pole placement extras are awesome, aswell as pressing e to confirm and the spidertron build evasion :D

Did you add logistics to spidertron? I think you meant that, but I don't explicitly see it.

Idea for the main screen: Do some post processing to the map, so that colors aren't super vibrant, maybe a bit like with the website background image. I kinda like the old, relaxed, darkish background. Having a super vibrant 'IN YOUR FACE' flashy thing going on would maybe take away a bit of clarity from the menu.

Or maybe make a big, transient box shadow under the menu UI itself, so that it's nicely elevated.

Thanks for keeping the improvements coming <3

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Only bit I'm a little skeptical about is ghosts replacing physical buildings. Guess I'll have to wait and see how I like it, but I wonder if an option to enable or disable this would be good.

AlexAegis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AlexAegis »

This is quite the spooky update right before halloween with all these ghostly features

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Absolut genius little improvments!
Good job ... when we can have it :D

And 1 more little change we need.
When you chat and have 4 Lines of tools the "first" chat line is behind the UI and unreadable (when its longer) until i make a new chatmassage.
Please set the start of chat 1 line higher.
That would be a nice QOL change :-)

Enderdraak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Enderdraak »

I like it, does this mean you can now build a wall of rails to prevent a spidertron from going somewhere?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

DOSorDIE wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:01 am
Absolut genius little improvments!
Good job ... when we can have it :D

And 1 more little change we need.
When you chat and have 4 Lines of tools the "first" chat line is behind the UI and unreadable (when its longer) until i make a new chatmassage.
Please set the start of chat 1 line higher.
That would be a nice QOL change :-)
Its already done for 1.1 :)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Enderdraak wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:02 am
I like it, does this mean you can now build a wall of rails to prevent a spidertron from going somewhere?
Spideyboi can still step between the rails:

Attachments
2020-10-30_10-04-05.mp4
(4.14 MiB) Downloaded 341 times

Nefrums
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nefrums »

Does rotate work on ghost enteties?
Last edited by Nefrums on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enderdraak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Enderdraak »

Also I think I read somewhere that:
A, chat becomes scroleble in some way.
B, chat and console would be split.

Are there any plans like that still left? Cuz something like LTN (Errors & warnings only) still tend to swap the chat to some unuseblilty degree.

Enderdraak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Enderdraak »

Klonan wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am
Enderdraak wrote:
Also when all those rails are curved?
Last edited by Enderdraak on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camylarde
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Camylarde »

amazing qol improvements again. WUBE - World\s masterclass in polishing a game.

My only question is what game will you guys make next and when do you want my money?!

Kalixt
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kalixt »

Apart from ghosts, there is one tweak to building by dragging for poles.

Thanks !!!

Enderdraak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Enderdraak »

Kalixt wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:10 am
Apart from ghosts, there is one tweak to building by dragging for poles.

Thanks !!!
yes that indeed deserves a big thanks :D

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Enderdraak wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:07 am
Klonan wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am
Enderdraak wrote:
Also when all those rails are curved?
I don't know what kind of intersections you will be making but I think it will be okay

Attachments
2020-10-30_10-12-38.mp4
(13.92 MiB) Downloaded 452 times

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

we could completely remove the logic of revived poles trying to connect to new poles, as instead, it followed the pre-determined connections from the ghost state, so the process is more deterministic from the user point of view.
That is great. Hail of trains and random wires from blueprint bugs me for years. Thank you so much.
I have nice laser fence design,using switching power on demand, which need precise wiring. So with a new update I can stamp it instead of manually repair each tile. Superb.
The connections inside the blueprint are strictly following the original, while the connections to the entities already existing on the map are being automatically created as before.
It is eighter unfortnate statement or unfortnate functionality.
Test case: Make a regular grid of poles conecting eeach other, so each pole has 4 conections.
Then make it so, the bluprint of 4 poles conecting each other, with only one wire connects to the rest of the grid.
Then stamp blue print. Result should be, the blue print connects with only one wire, not four.
e.g. The blue print should search for "outside" conectivity only by those poles, which was not manualy restricted (to inside connection).
e.g. The pole which is on the edge of blue print and has manualy restricted wires (to only inside connections), it should stay so. So after placing a blueprint there is an pole in range available but not connected.

Would you also fix 3rd of my long term pain. Add Description for a combinator. Due to complexity of some creations, it is great to prevent re-invent wheel feel and allow write notes what is what, what it is doing/idea/guide. Basiicaly same descrition box as blueeprint has.
Last edited by gGeorg on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 am, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “News”