[1.1.81] Belt get stuck by overfeeding items

Things that has been reported already before.
Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.81] Belt get stuck by overfeeding items

Post by Stimpatch »

Hello,

today i learned that a looped belt will get stuck if you overfeed it with items with an inserter (as visible on my screenshot on the right side). No need for a video, the belts stop moving the items forward. I understand that this is a somewhat direct consequence of the change made to fill up belts better by moving items a tiny bit around on the belt. So my estimate is: Last item gets dropped, some items shuffle around, but there is lack of space to insert the item by moving others out of the way as far as needed, still the item is dropped and now the items cannot move because there is no space to get out of the way (either at the end or the beginning of the line of items on the belt)

Cool. Surprising for me, but cool. Inserters, man... sometimes weird...

But... This also happens with splitters (without priority input), as you can see on the left. The loop also stops moving. And this is somehow even more surprising to me. As a developer myself i totally see the point in behaving similar with same types of actions. But as a player i must say this feels wrong. And its hard to put my finger on it, but from a player kind of perspective (especially from a new player experience) the splitter either should merge items onto the belt if there is space... or not. Getting the belt stuck (even with the easy quickfix to priories input) feels wrong here. Like, i cannot explain what happens with these stuck loops to a newbie friend of mine other than "technical shenanigan"

*looking at the "how to report a bug" thread again*

- easy to reproduce
- for splitters, i expected the loop to continue running
Attachments
Factorio.png
Factorio.png (410.64 KiB) Viewed 588 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.81] Belt get stuck by overfeeding items

Post by mrvn »

The surprising thing is the inserter case. The inserter should not drop the item if there is no space. But more likely there is just enough space for the item. But then the belt is 100% full and that is buggy and won't move.

In the splitter case the splitter alternates adding items from the left and right input. It's at a point that it wants to add from the right (inserter) input. But to do that it needs to wait for the output side to move. But that won't move until the splitter takes from the left (loop) side. So it's perfectly natural that the belt is stuck. This is a not a bug. The splitter is stopping items, it would get stuck in real life too.

If you want the belt to keep moving you need to set the belt loop as priority input. And even then you can hit the full belt bug.

Return to “Duplicates”