[15.0] Crash 2-3 times before startup, no log created

Things that has been reported already before.
ShadowDawn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[15.0] Crash 2-3 times before startup, no log created

Post by ShadowDawn »

When i run a fresh 0.15 from steam, factorio will crash 2-3 times before starting up.

Steam cloud saving has been disabled, and config file in appdata deleted to make a fresh one.

I have attached the error log.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Crash 2-3 times before startup

Post by Loewchen »

Post a log with a crash.

ShadowDawn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ShadowDawn »

Ah i thought that one was the crash, but i just tested again, and it doesn't generate a log when it crashed.

I seem to have found the reason for the crash though, it seems that my AV (Webroot) detects factorio.exe as a trojan, and crashes the game, even when i have excluded the file.

I have attached the error message i get when it crashes (It's in danish)

After this i tested the standalone download from the website, and that seems to run without any trouble whatsoever.
Attachments
Factorio Crash.png
Factorio Crash.png (51.92 KiB) Viewed 3397 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Ah, then I think I know which one it is..

Biblicalflood
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [15.0] Crash 2-3 times before startup, no log created

Post by Biblicalflood »

Loewchen wrote:See: 44581
With the additional information this must be exactly the same issue, although I wasn't ever able to successfully launch the game. And unfortunately I accidentally allowed webroot to "secure the threat" meaning I'm going to have to undo that before steam will update the game later, as it locks the file in question.

After your marathon of bug fixes I would really like to know what actually caused the false positive, you seem like you have an idea.

EDIT: In case it helps I allowed Webroot to complete a full scan of my PC after it flagged factorio, and it did not flag the standalone version which I downloaded when steam failed me. I even saw the temporary factorio.exe that 7zip used to extract it get scanned, so I know it checked it. It must be something in only the steam build.

rhekis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rhekis »

After your marathon of bug fixes I would really like to know what actually caused the false positive, you seem like you have an idea.
Mainstream media reports Webroot AV issues today.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I don't think we will ever know why Factorio triggers some antivirus software. We use curl for some web requrest, maybe it is popular library in malware. Maybe the way we do multiplayer networking and natpunching is suspicious. Maybe it is combination of networking and the fact Factorio can restart itself. Or maybe it is just some random binary sequence that matches some malware signature.

Anyway I am moving this to duplicates, please continue further discussion in: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44699

Return to “Duplicates”