[1.1.88] Dump commands failing with Combat Mechanics Overhaul

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.88] Dump commands failing with Combat Mechanics Overhaul

Post by ilbJanissary »

1. Attempting to use the --dump-data and --dump-prototype-locale commands with the mod "Combat Mechanics Overhaul" (combat-mechanics-overhaul), a dependency of "Space Exploration", to get icons from this mod for use in FactorioLab.
2. The commands fail with an error:

Error while loading entity prototype "se-gate-fragment-14-a" (simple-entity): Sprite height outside valid range (1-2048).

At ROOT.simple-entity.se-gate-fragment-14-a.picture.layers[0].hr_version
Modifications: Space Exploration › Combat Mechanics Overhaul

3. Since the game appears to still load without problems and presumably does not crash while the game is running, I would expect the icons to still dump as they appear in-game.
4. This always happens when dumping with this mod.
5. To reproduce, install and enable combat-mechanics-overhaul, and run factorio.exe --dump-data.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.88] Dump commands failing with Combat Mechanics Overhaul

Post by Honktown »

I am unable to reproduce on Windows and version 1.1.88, with normal graphics or 'high' set, and factorio.exe --dump-data in the bin/x64 directory. Mods are default settings, current SE + Combat Mechanics Overhaul (optional dependency). Alien Biomes puts the mods and version in the log:

Code: Select all

2.432 Script @__alien-biomes__/data.lua:4: Log mods once: {
  ["aai-containers"] = "0.2.11",
  ["aai-industry"] = "0.5.20",
  ["aai-signal-transmission"] = "0.4.8",
  ["aai-signals"] = "0.6.1",
  ["alien-biomes"] = "0.6.8",
  base = "1.1.88",
  ["combat-mechanics-overhaul"] = "0.6.24",
  informatron = "0.3.4",
  jetpack = "0.3.13",
  robot_attrition = "0.5.15",
  ["shield-projector"] = "0.1.6",
  simhelper = "1.1.4",
  ["space-exploration"] = "0.6.112",
  ["space-exploration-graphics"] = "0.6.15",
  ["space-exploration-graphics-2"] = "0.6.1",
  ["space-exploration-graphics-3"] = "0.6.2",
  ["space-exploration-graphics-4"] = "0.6.2",
  ["space-exploration-graphics-5"] = "0.6.1",
  ["space-exploration-menu-simulations"] = "0.6.8",
  ["space-exploration-postprocess"] = "0.6.26"
}
And attached is my log, with "found duplicate mod" spam trimmed:
factorio-current-honktown.log
(448.99 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Would you compare your mods and versions?
I have mods! I guess!
Link

ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ilbJanissary »

Interesting! I am on Windows and I tried updating all mods to the latest version before I posted my issue but I'll have to try again and post my logs.

I will note that I was running with 248K, Krastorio 2, and Space Exploration. My guess now is that maybe it's something about those three combined, since I didn't actually bother to try Space Exploration by itself.

I will also note that I was able to get the dump commands to run with that set of mods in the past, I'm guessing something has changed in newer versions of something.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Fortunately had the mods downloaded, and in the json I see this:

Code: Select all

"hr_version": 
            {
              "filename": "__space-exploration-graphics__/graphics/entity/gate/hr/fragment-14-a.png",
              "width": 832,
              "height": 2176,
One assumption later: (that since the game atlas size setting goes 2048, 4096, 8192, largest possible...), nothing to report...

normal/high enabled in-game, 2048 atlas size, no errors with game or dump-data. Turned off texture streaming, and still no error. I would expect if it weren't loaded until needed, maybe *that* is an extreme edge case of why it didn't error or something, but I just can't seem to trigger an error.

I believe I found why I don't get the error. It's not using 2048 atlas size?? Looking through the atlas with control-f3, I see my atlas is 4096x4096. Atlas 4, "the left side of a stargate" is fragment-14-a.png.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Strange. I am on a UHD screen, which I would not expect to matter but I don't know.

Attaching an image:
half-size-atlas-image.jpg
half-size-atlas-image.jpg (589.27 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
I have mods! I guess!
Link

ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ilbJanissary »

I definitely wouldn't expect the monitor to matter when I'm exporting data only, but I do have an ultrawide monitor. I can also try running the dump from one of my smaller monitors.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

I was thinking, the graphics side could request the atlas canvas from the gpu but not care if it is larger than requested. I'm on an NVidia 1060 which is mildly dated, but by no means a "low-end" gpu. I may not be able to reproduce the error if it won't return a 2048 surface for the atlas. Id still expect HR mode to trigger the bug when a 2048 canvas is used... Logically it has to with the texture over 2048???

I see the dump runs in headless mode, but then that should extract gpu behavior from the equation and detect 2048 canvas is too small? [Edit: or ignored it entirely] Something is amiss, for sure
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

It appears I never tested the last case when I noticed the atlas was using 4k despite set to 2k. I am able to reproduce the error.

Only SE is needed to reproduce it:
1) SE
2) HR mode and 2048 atlas size
3) factorio.exe --dump-data (mine seems to find the relative config correctly, but here it is anyway: -c .\..\..\config\config.ini )
I have mods! I guess!
Link

ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ilbJanissary »

Thanks for looking into this Honktown, I've been away from my PC for the weekend but sure looks like you've gotten to (or close to) the bottom of it.

Mods/devs, if this is a duplicate of the thread Honktown opened: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=104320, feel free to do what you wish with this thread.

ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ilbJanissary »

For what it's worth, I can confirm that setting "Sprite resolution" to "Normal" serves as a workaround for this issue.

EDIT: I had "Atlas texture size" set to the default "Largest possible", but setting it to "4096" while still using high resolution graphics also seems to work around the issue.

ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ilbJanissary »

After getting it to work, I reverted back to my original settings and now it continues to work.
I've no idea what's going on at this point.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

ilbJanissary wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:33 pm
After getting it to work, I reverted back to my original settings and now it continues to work.
I've no idea what's going on at this point.
Do you have a dual-gpu system with an integrated GPU perhaps?
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Minor issues”